Redoing A Disk Brake Swap (got leaks/need input/help)

-

Norse

Reaction score
The previous owner (PO) of my '69 Barracuda followed the forum here and installed '75 Dart front discs. He mostly did all the right things EXCEPT he used all used parts (master cyl, calipers, hoses, brake lines).
Fast forward 12 years from when the PO did the work and here I am replacing all the master cyl, hard lines, flex hoses and calipers. (lines and hoses are stainless steel from Fine Lines).

I got everything installed and bled.

Right front at the hard line to flex connection leaks.
I've tightened it as much as I dare.
&
The flex line banjo fitting leaks.
I've put a new banjo bolt and copper crush washers in and tightened it within an inch of it's life. Still leaks at the crush washer between the banjo fitting and caliper.

I've taken it apart to look for imperfections, burrs, or bad line flares; none obvious.
Everything else has sealed nicely and doesn't leak.
Am I missing something?

TIA

My understanding is stainless lines take more force to seal properly.

Tighten loosen a number of times.

As for banjo fitting, is it leaking between fitting and copper crush washer or copper crush washer and caliper?

Seals at flare connections have to deform on both sides to seal correctly -> so stainless steel really doesn't do that, you have to look now and see if the cone is smashed in the connection to the brake tube in a strange way. And if it does, it's junk. This is why you don't see materials like this on production cars.

For the crush washer, the washers either aren't soft enough or something isn't flat.

It's also a known fact that the "new stuff" has quality issues with the flares. They're known to leak, so maybe the person who did the original swap actually did the right thing.

These issues have been coming up a lot lately.
For the stainless flare leaks:

For the copper crush washers:

you need to use Parker 2Gf-3 45 degree fittings 3/16 for SS lines to seal correctly, I use them on steel lines when they don't seal right. They work great!!!
WWWWWWWWW.jpg

Last edited:
Care sharing where to find them?

I get them from an buddies air conditioning company.

Use the correct tools and tighten/loosen all connections several times. Most important when using new lines! JMO

I have found from years of working on cars and trucks that copper washers provided in aftermarket parts are not as thick as oem ones. I would try to find originals and anneal them as shown in the previous post.

-
Back