refrigorator help

-

alsdemon

Reaction score
you guys help me out on my washer so here a shot on my frig.the ice box part is working find. but the reg.part just is not getting as cold . the mike ans cheese stuff going bad.any ieades on what might be gooing on.freexer will have a little ice on the bottem some times.could there be iced up some where? like always thanks again

theres a little tube in the back of the back of the frig box inside. when they plug the bottom doesnt cool

Try defrosting the freezer and cleaning the coils on the back/ bottom real good.

How packed is it? My wife treats ours like a hoarders and it sometimes cannot cool properly with all the stuff crammed in there!
C

big thanks .pulled the panal in the freezer amd coils were frozen soiled both feeds to the frig were packed with ice so we got got it all unfrozen drain was also packed we pluged back in and see what will happen now but from what i see that will fix it,still get real cold so i don,t see why it won,t work. thanks again

big thanks .pulled the panal in the freezer amd coils were frozen soiled both feeds to the frig were packed with ice so we got got it all unfrozen drain was also packed we pluged back in and see what will happen now but from what i see that will fix it,still get real cold so i don,t see why it won,t work. thanks again

There are a number of points here:

A modern 'fridge is really a freezer with A HOLE and A FAN connecting to the 'fridge section, with a DAMPER DOOR to control air flow

Bad/ poor / leaking door gaskets can accellerate frost buildup, as can having unsealed liquids which add to frost and humidity in the box

Motor driven defrost timers can get "sticky" and unpredictible, as well as the usual bad contacts, etc which stop the defrost heater from working OK

(They can also stick ON so you are heating the fridge with the defrost heater while the unit is trying to cool)

The heater can go bad, no defrost, and ice builds

The drain in the back can clog, which of course stops water from draining in defrost, so it freezes right back up quickly

Bad thermostat (control)

And probably the least cause is the refer unit itself. Modern units typically have aluminum evaporators, which can corrode due to acidic foods (always important to seal foods) and which are not really REALLY repairable. A longtime, slow leak, can deteriorate freezer performance.

Usually when the refrigerant starts to get low, or the valves, etc start to fail in the compressor, (for awhile) the refer will cool but the freezer will be warm

Hope all this helps.

I use a 1934 G.E. monitor top fridge. Unplug it every 2 months to defrost and its good to go. It uses some deadly toxic chemical (not freon) Dimethal something. Never serviced. Draw back is no freezer to talk about, can't keep icecream!

If it is a Samsung the evaporator coil and the defrost heater are one in and of each other. What I mean is that the older refrigerators and even most of the newer ones have the defrost heater separate of the evaporator coil. On Samsung refrigerators the defrost heater is actually interwoven into the evaporator coil so this makes replacing the defrost heater nearly impossible whereas on the older models you just have to defrost the freezer and unplug the heater and pull it free of the evaporator coil because it usually wraps around the outside of the coil.So with a Samsung refrigerator you actually need to discharge the freon from the unit and braze off the evaporator coil to replace the whole unit. I used to do warraanty repairs for Samsung and this is why I know this.

.......... 1934 G.E. monitor.................. some deadly toxic chemical (not freon) Dimethal ....... Never serviced.

There were a few refrigerants used before the "Freon" family came out, ammonia, sulphur dioxide, and I believe just methyl chloride.

All were incredibly deadly. The one advantage of ammonia is, that it is SO irritating, that if you CAN you WILL get away from it.

.....never serviced.....

That just HAS to be some sort of record

it,s a maytag.side bye side. 1st. thing the draintube was blocked.food or just ice.#2 the evpap coil was froxen soild with ice.#3 the cross over vent to the frig. were blocked with ice or frozen slush. after free ing up the drain and useing a blow dryer to melt the ice on the coils.then removing the ice from the cross over vent. it seem to be working again.it remined me of a iced up evp on a car when the drian hole was pluged up and the coninsaion would not drain out of the box. once again my beer will get cold and the mike won,t go bad.thanks guys

If it freezes up again in a short period of time then look at the defrost timer, or defrost heater as the culprit.

OK..first thing to know about a refrigerator...is.... there is no such thing. there are only FREEZERS...... they are all freezers FIRST! in between the freezer section and the refrigerator section there is a DOOR that opens and closes and lets the cold air into the fridge section from the freezer via thermostatic control...... when the door or the thermostatic control fails one of two things happens....either the refrigerator section does not get cold enuf and the freezer section goes on a frost rampage This is failed ina closed or partially open position OR The fridge section gets almost as cold as the freezer section and the compressor is almost always on trying to freeze the entire cubic feet of both....typically milk will get iced chips, soda will get ice chips and stuff like string cheese will turn into cheesecicles...... if after you clean everything and it still is not functioning properly, put a thermometer in it and monitor the temps in both the freezer and frige sections......see the specs on your specific brand for what temps are considered NORMAL if the freezer is low and the fridge is way low the door is stuck or thermostatic servo control is hosed...typically around a $100 fix

ok will keep a eyeout for that.funny the wife said at the old house there would be water on the floor time to time then after we moved i seem to find a lot of ice in the freezer part. so i,m thinking the drain got pluged at some time then the coils iced up real good then at thanksgiveing we had the doors open alot more then normal.that is when i noticed it realy starting to go down hill.

Call me crazy but more then once I found the little 15w light bulb stayed on with the door closed. That alone will create enough heat to bring the temp in the ref. to 60.

OK..first thing to know about a refrigerator...is.... there is no such thing. there are only FREEZERS...... they are all freezers FIRST! in between the freezer section and the refrigerator section there is a DOOR that opens and closes a

Could 'ha swore that I already posted this above

50505_288114435707_4788518_n.jpg

i am curious....just how did you discover this??? lmao

Why t's easy maaaaaaannnn, says the Dudster. Ya jus' stick yer digi camera in there with a timer and shut the door. After ya think she took the big picture, ya take 'er out 'n see if ya got anything!!!!!

DART67 yes i read that and thought the vent at the botum was it but after we strated it up i found the top cross over .that was still froozen up.thanks to you all for the help it working fine and you save xmas for us.and i can by from parts for the daytona too.:cheers:

-
Back