Regarding Manual to Power steering

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a '66 Dodge Dart with manual steering.
I've been thinking of converting it to power steering and I have talked to some people and I have heard so many variations of what's needed that I had to start this thread to solve things out!

question 1: The steering box. Is it possible to use one from the years 73-76 or do I have to use the 66-72 box? If the 73-76 box doesn't fit, is there a way to make it do so?

question 2: The steering shaft what modifications/new parts is needed?

question 3: The pump, what servo pumps will fit right in?

question 4: Is there anything else I need except the drive-disc-that-i-dont-know-the-english-word-for on the crankshaft and obviously hoses.

The problem of all this is that not even proffessional buissnesses here in Sweden are able to get the 66-72 box so if that's what i need then there will be no powersteering for me =/

Best regards! :cheers:

Is this a V8 or a slant 6? Now to answer some questions.

(1.) The snag with the steering box is the size of the output shaft. If you had a '66-'72 box, the pitman arm that you have with your manual steering would bolt to the output shaft of the box. If you use the '73 up box, you will need to use the '73 up pitman arm. This arm won't hook up to the '66 center link and you can't swap in a '73 center link since it is too long.

(2.) The steering shaft for a power steering column is quite a bit shorter than a manual shaft. The coupler is also different since the manual box has a larger input shaft than the power box. You will need a power steering shaft or steering column and a power steering box coupler or you can cut your shaft to length and weld on a u joint/coupler from Flaming River or another supplier.

(3.) Whichever Mopar power steering pump you can find will bolt on and work fine if you get the mounting brackets with the pump. The only hassle will be the fittings for the hoses may not be what you need with a premade hose. For example, a hose for a '73 pump and box will have the wrong fitting on the steering box end if you wind up with a '73 up pump. Find a shop that will make a hose for you and take them the ends you need.

(4.) You will need the power steering pump brackets, crank pulley, and a pump pulley for whichever year pump you wind up with along with a power steering pump belt.

How much would it cost to ship 35 pounds to you?

What I could figure out of the usps webpage it'd cost 125usd. Why? =)

Btw, you'er the man, always helpful!

Oh and it's a 318!

-
Back