Relay for elactric fuel pump

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Installing a Carter 4594 electric fuel pump. Is it nescasarry to run it through a relay. Or can I run it through the fuse box to keyed 12 volt, then up to a toggle switch so I can turn it off if I want, but it will still shut off with the key whether switch is on or off?

The smart move is to run it through a relay and an oil pressure switch. That way if there was a crash and the oil pressure dropped, the fuel quits pumping.

The smart move is to run it through a relay and an oil pressure switch. That way if there was a crash and the oil pressure dropped, the fuel quits pumping.

I'm crushed. Where's the Sleestack?

I've got the pressure switch. Nothing in the instructions mentions a relay. Just a 10 amp fuse and the safety switch. Don't know if running it without a relay will fry anything or if it just depends where I hook it. I've got an auxiliary12volt spot in the dude box that's not running anything else

I never believed that shutting off the fuel pressure when there is no oil pressure does anything.
The fuel bowl is full so the engine will run for a long time with no oil pressure, better to kill the ignition.

Yes, running a relay is a smart move. Switching a relay at 1/3 amps is better than taxing the oem wiring/fuse block at 3-7 amps. Especially if you have your battery in the trunk.

If you want to prime the bowls after sitting for any period of time with a pressure switch, you have to wire in a bypass as well.

You can also run the ground side of the relay, instead of power, to the pressure switch.

"Agree w/ this," but I`ve ran one like the o.p. asked on 3 hotrods and never had any trouble. But I never had a wreck in one of them either ! rrr-what ??

"Agree w/ this," but I`ve ran one like the o.p. asked on 3 hotrods and never had any trouble. But I never had a wreck in one of them either ! rrr-what ??
Had to google it. Still dont get it. But it did bring back memories....

I do agree with the relay,and oil pressure switch.i prefer electric fuel pump, makes a great theft deterrent. I member back in the 70's,my older brother's 57 chevy. Could hear that fuel pump and improperly shimmed starter from a block away. Dad made him park it down the street.

Last edited:
Put a relay in there. Also, you can hide a small switch, in fact put the switch in plain sight!! Put it in the relay coil circuit and now you have a simple anti theft switch.

I think everything in modern cars run on a relay. There is a good reason for that. Run the relay. I picked up the power for the one on my 66 at the oil pressure light. It is hot with the key, just gets ground thru the sending unit on the engine.

-
Back