Remember when we had no fear with our toys?

-
and we used to shoot each other in the back with BB guns as long as the victim had a coat on!
I probably shouldn't be here remembering the way we drove our muscle cars in the 60's!
I've always been hard on my cars but now that I'm old and probably ain't going to buy anymore, I'm being nicer to them these days. We never shot each other with BB guns but we did fire off bottle rockets at each other including firecrackers. One time a buddy of mine came up to my car and pointed a fire extinguisher at me. Told him don't you dare and well he did. Turned my clean black interior white! At least he didn't point it at my face. Don't think I ever got him back for that one lol

We all worshiped Evil Knievel !

70574926_2038466366255223_4033065516049367040_n.jpg

How about these tethered gas type of airplanes that nearly takes your finger(s) off, starting them up.

Edit.
How do i know this, you ask?
Happened to me, in the back yard, starting one of those things up.
Had one, pretty similar to the one in the picture.

Airplane  toy.jpg

Last edited:
We all worshiped Evil Knievel !

View attachment 1715980658

I took my lunch in my Eval Kineval lunch box to work for a while a few years ago. The thermos is long LONG gone, it had the glass bottle, and broke back in the 70's or 80's. All the young guys thought it was cool and retro and mocked me for my 68 Barracuda, Sure their Toyota trucks and Mazdas are more reliable, but at least on the Barracuda, I can change the headgasket in an afternoon, not have to take it in for recall, who's laughing now kid?

We made "cannons" out of 7 pop cans. Cut the ends off 6 of them so they were just tubes. On the 7th, use an old can opener to punch 4-5 triangular holes in one end and put a nail-hole in the center of the other closed end. Duct-tape them all together with the single hole in can 7 at the end. Then tape them all to some kind of a long stick you could hold onto.

Squirt about 4 long squirts of lighter fluid in the single hole, grab the stick and swing the hole thing around over your head, and it's ready to go. Hold a lit stick or something to the little single hole and...KABOOM!! The cannon would fire!!

Put a tennis ball in the open end and do it all again. You could fire that ball over the neighbor's house across the street!! The game was whose cannon was the loudest or could shoot a ball the farthest.

How did we survive??!!

We made "cannons" out of 7 pop cans. Cut the ends off 6 of them so they were just tubes. On the 7th, use an old can opener to punch 4-5 triangular holes in one end and put a nail-hole in the center of the other closed end. Duct-tape them all together with the single hole in can 7 at the end. Then tape them all to some kind of a long stick you could hold onto.

Squirt about 4 long squirts of lighter fluid in the single hole, grab the stick and swing the hole thing around over your head, and it's ready to go. Hold a lit stick or something to the little single hole and...KABOOM!! The cannon would fire!!

Put a tennis ball in the open end and do it all again. You could fire that ball over the neighbor's house across the street!! The game was whose cannon was the loudest or could shoot a ball the farthest.

How did we survive??!!

Without diagrams, this post is worthless. We need illustrations, stat!! This is kinda like using a nail and a couple of M16 stripper clips to make a gun!

View attachment 1715980808
Man, I always wanted one of these- but my parents would say "Don't waste your money"... :(

Here's a documentary on exactly that!

Then I got older, and wanted the Jeep. Same answer from the parents...
View attachment 1715980826

There was a video a couple years ago of a guy unboxing one of those surplus Jeeps. I want one!!

How did we survive??!!

Good practice for outfielders

Campbel soup cans taped together and tennis balls. Man they went far!

Click Clacks. I remember those being wrist bashers. The toy that punished for missing.
We called them numb chucks and for good reason. That was one 'toy' I stayed away from after giving them a few days 'trial' and thought not worth the pain lol. Wait, I'm thinking numb chucks were the sticks?? Just as bad!

We didn't have the money to buy a carbide cannon so my cousin and I made a cannon out of some plumbing pipe. We got in big-time trouble the first time we fired it because we blew a hole in their wooden backyard gate with a 1" diameter ball bearing "cannon ball". It was basically a pipe bomb with an open end.
We also made our own "skyrockets" by taping a 4th-of-July sparkler to an arrow and shooting it as high as we could with his bow. We lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles and never bothered to look for an open area to do this. His home was on a corner lot of a 5-point residential intersection. We'd shoot our 'skyrockets' across the widest part of that intersection to the front lawn of another house. We went about ten-feet too far one time and that arrow came down and stuck in the middle of a 4-inch piece of wood separating two windows on the front of the house across the intersection. Luckily, no one was home and we got away with that one.
I don't know how, but we both ended up as "adults" with all of our fingers and toes.
Yeah, they were the best of times.

Last edited:
Without diagrams, this post is worthless. We need illustrations, stat!! This is kinda like using a nail and a couple of M16 stripper clips to make a gun!

Sorry - no diagrams. Don't want to contribute to the delinquency of others!! Besides, the cans back then were steel, not aluminum!!

Another favorite was the ball & paddle. You played with it for a few minutes. Rubber band breaks. Now your folks have a new *** paddler.

The gift that keeps on giving.

ST-21516_media.jpg

I'm sure that I am fine from breathing in the lead fumes all those years. ;'):rofl:

LeadSoldierCasting01.jpg

LeadSoldierCasting03.jpg

We used to take shotgun shells, open them up and empty the bb’s. Tape a marble to the bottom on the brass and throw them up. When they hit asphalt they fire

or shoot m80’s using a wrist rocket slingshot. Pull it back to your ear, have a friend light it and launch it. Nothing bad could happen here!

And then came Evil Kneivel. And I was sure I could jump my heavy *** banana seat Schwinn over 7 K-mart shopping cards? I landed in 2nd to last.

Fun times.

-
Back