Remote Mirror Knob

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Can't seem to fine a post so I'll ask, when installing rallye mirrors in a 71' Duster that never had them where do you make the hole for the adjustment knob on the driver's side?

If you don't get a response by tomorrow afternoon, I'll get some measurements and pics for you.

let 340butterduster get the measurements...I just took a shot, center and drilled...but as anal as I am...someone must have given me some guidelines. Just can't remember.

good luck! Aloha.

While we are at it some assembly instructions for the various washers and shims would be handy too.

I tried, I was waiting for the wife to come back with the "good" camera...
I took pics anyways, came out not the best as you can tell.

So therefore I went all "high precision" on you.
The hole dia. is 7/8" (.875).

The vertical dimension I measured from the top of the trim, to top of hole which was 3.25" (3 1/4").

The horizontal was measured from the "Duster" name plate to far edge of hole, which was 3.437" (3 7/16").

Therefore the center of the hole is :

Horizontal, 3.25" (measured) minus 1/2 dia. (.875/2 = .4375") = 2.8125" (2 13/16").

Vertical, using the same math = 3" hole center.

Hope this helps,
Giles

Not sure exactly what you mean by washers and shims, but you should have a round lock clip for around the threads, some are round (like a washer) and some are " U " shaped (like door lock clips).

That clip goes on the inside of door panel, so that when you put on the threaded bezel it doesn't pull the complete end through the hole.

You should also have at least one other (possibly two) clip kinda "S" shape, use those to keep the wires from rubbing on the glass.

There are two different length of wires for the remotes, they both work, the longer was for '73 and newer I believe, as the location is lower on those.

All the best.

Going to pick up a hole saw tomorrow. Measured and re-measured and one more before drilling the holes on the passenger door for the mirror. Lines up perfect and I copied the measurements like shown on a few other threads from the driver's side.

Only issue I find is the glass has to be cranked all the way to the outside to get any real view. I may open the hole on one side for the stud to be able to angle the mirror slighlty.

-
Back