Remote transmission filter question

-

Bill Boz

Reaction score
I am working on a 62 Dodge Lancer with a 225 slant 6 and automatic transmission. I want to replace the old inline filter mounted to the side of the engine. I could use an in-line canister type or a remote mounted screw on type. I wonder what is the direction of flow, was it from the transmission thru the filter then into the radiator, or the other way around? I’m pretty sure that the filters have to be plumbed in the right direction. Any suggestions for filters would be appreciated. One that I’m considering is Derale 13090 transmission filter kit.
Thanks
Bill

• 41+2U2dlGyL._AC_US40_.jpg

• Touch the image to zoom in

Derale 13090 Transmission Filter Kit

The front line on the trans is pressure out. So follow them and se which way it runs through the filter.

They had that extra filter in 62 then got rid of it. You don’t really need it, but it won’t hurt.

Until 64 they only had the external filter. In place of the pan filter, they had a bronze screen. You can use the 2-hole torqeflite filter, but you must change the transmission pan as it is different. I repeat you must use the 2-hole filter as that transmission has a front and a rear oil pump. You can make up a piece of tubing to replace the filter.

Thanks, that’s great information, I ordered the new pan thru Amazon, I’ll probably get the filter kit from NAPA. I’d bet that external filter is original. The transmission seems to work fine and I want to keep it that way!
Thanks 413 and bcschief for taking the time to answer my question

-
Back