Removal and install of rear windshield 65 Barracuda

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My car is going to body and paint next week. I really want to remove the rear windshield and replace the seal and my paint n body is a bit leary about doing it How hard is it really?
I'm a pretty hands on guy and can do just about anything needed to a car Just check out my build in my signature! but i don't do body n paint Nope nope!
I wounder if it's something I could do or is it a "PITA pay and have some one else do it"

Of course my only fear is breaking the glass....

Last edited:
It's not as bad as one may think. Just remove the locking strip get inside the back and use your arms and legs to push it out. Once dislodged, you will need help lifting and removing. Don't worry about breaking it, if you do someone will give you one to replace it! You'd think there rare and expensive but that's just not the case! 65'

Easy just watch out for those plastic interior corners, super easy to break them and hard to find. Other than that it is simple, good time to do the headliner also.
They are all over the place if you need a new one I have three spares! Tougher than heck to break also.

My car is going to body and paint next week. I really want to remove the rear windshield and replace the seal and my paint n body is a bit leary about doing it How hard is it really?
I'm a pretty hands on guy and can do just about anything needed to a car Just check out my build in my signature! but i don't do body n paint) Nope nope!
I wounder if it's something I could do or is it a "PITA pay and have some one else do it"

Easy just watch out for those plastic interior corners, super easy to break them and hard to find. Other than that it is simple, good time to do the headliner also.
They are all over the place if you need a new one I have three spares! Tougher than heck to break also.
That was what I was going towards. I know the headliner and other interior bits tuck under both the front and rear windshield rubber.
As for the corner bits you mentioned. I have a set for all for corners the two thin strips for the B pillar, and the elbow shields for the base/C pillar.

Do you have a head liner in black?

I'm a pretty hands on guy and can do just about anything needed to a car Just check out my build in my signature! but i don't do body n paint Nope nope!

Buddy, I've got your back. If you break it i have a spare I'll bring to you. I love the pics of you and your son working together, nothing finer. By the way, looks like mom won... ;)

I let the piantshop do mine. That was the last time I saw the 2 stainless corner locking clips, no reproductions that I know of. While the window was out I had it tinted. Then on install they put chevy locking strip (smaller) in and then ran it around those bottom corners and it leaked like you wouldn't believe. I would say do it yourself, and I too have a backup. The new rubber is easy to find, locking strip? Get a new windshield while it is apart.

If you're installing a new rubber gasket, just use a razor blade cutter on the old one to release the glass. That back glass is pretty tough. I've seen those cars roll over and not break it. If you plan to save the old gasket, do as has been mentioned......remove the lock strip stuff, lay on your back under the back glass, and push the glass up and out with your feet.

1 year ago this month mine was reinstalled on my 66'
I removed the glass by removing the inner locking strip and carefully cut thru the gasket with a brand new and sharp carpet knife.
Reinstall after paint, i paid professionals to do. Cost me $125.
They installed the gasket to the car with urethane and let it set up a bit and with two people carefully lowered the glass into the gasket, wiped the sweat off their brow. Then using a plastic spool looking tool they walked it into the gasket. then new lock strip and grabbed the check and ran like heck. So far no issues.

Urethane? As in a glue? That won't be fun to remove at a later date. I'd use some non-hardening "dumb-dumb" type sealer between the gasket and body. Installing the glass is not all that tough if you have a helper or two. I use plastic putty knives or bondo paddles to work the gasket lip around the glass. They're also helpful installing the lock strip.

Cut it! that old rubber can be super hard and my not flex enough to let the glass out

Cut it! that old rubber can be super hard and my not flex enough to let the glass out
That's not always true. I've pulled plenty of those gaskets that were in great shape. Just depends on how and where the car was stored during it's life.

That's not always true. I've pulled plenty of those gaskets that were in great shape. Just depends on how and where the car was stored during it's life.
Or it could be super hard!

Buddy, I've got your back. If you break it i have a spare I'll bring to you. I love the pics of you and your son working together, nothing finer. By the way, looks like mom won... ;)
Thank man! Yea he's just getting into the car stuff and I'm excited about it! He can't wait to see it painted

Edit: She always wins.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was planning on buy the kit from Detroit Muscle, from what I Here everyone uses a chevy locking strip which is thinner? Should I try and Save mine they look fine and in good shape?

Use all parts you can. The lock strip for Chevy you need 2 for the length. One length for both sides and Across the top and a second for part of it to cover the bottom run between the little pieces.

The urethane is the same stuff the glass install guys install the new style set in place glass with no gaskets. It’s not to seal but to hold the gasket in place and dries quickly. Easy clean up- again I was watching the event and not participating. :popcorn:

I still have the two stainless corner clips I'll be sure it remove them before it goes to the body shop.

I'll also post up some pictures.

I pushed my rear window out without issue.
Have a back window story, comes from a guy that parted out more barracudas than he can remember. His kids dragged a back window around behind a snowmobile.i saw it. Beat to crap scrapes and sctatched all over.
It was more than 20 years ago, he saved it as proof of how tough they really are.
The story came after i bought a spare. No worries though, its nicer than my original.

Well the fronts out.... :)
20200715_182452.jpg
20200715_184138.jpg

Next the rear.... :eek:
20200715_184149.jpg
20200715_182335.jpg
20200715_182321.jpg

-
Back