Removal of rear and front windshield chrome trim

-
Go to harbor freight and buy the $5 set of trim removal tools. It's like 5 small blue plastic pry bars that work really well. On my car it was easiest to get one of the thicker wedge tools under the edge of the trim, then a good whack with on it with my closed fist popped the trim off the clips. Went down the trim pieces popping each clip like that and didn't damage it.

Did not see which Dart you have and what condition.
On my '64 GT the rear window trim (4 piece) had about 20 clips which were screwed into the body. Most were rusted.
The rear window and rubber had to come out first.
Replaced new clips, rubber and new [used] glass the old decided to shatter only after one day of being replaced= was looking ok!!= They do that sometimes. I am told they, like me, do not like change and tension.
My front has only rubber with a plastic chromed insert = replaced glass new [so much clearer],rubber and insert.

I like the tool I got from NAPA. Looks like a Y, with screwdriver type handle.
Takes a some practise to use. I found it works best if you work the little tip into the slot in the retainer clip, then twist while lifting on the molding. There's a youtube vid that shows it working. Look carefully at the clip when you get the first one off to see what I mean. Got mine off with no damage.

For side moldings a can opener (simple type used to puncture can) with tape on tip really works. (Someone here gave that tip.) Also takes a little practise. Go slow.

You can also use a stiff putty knife with a towel or something to protect the paint to take off the drip rail trim. Pry it out from the bottom, that drip rail trim has no clips when it was put on at the factory they just hook it over the top of the rail and the bottom edge is ridge to snap on.

-
Back