Remove Crank?

-

pagilman

Reaction score
Hi, Need you guys advise again. When I put my bottom end together I followed 4 books; trying to do it right and with 2 other guys with experience took our time and was happy with our work. I have been thinking that when I took my crank in to get it polished, i brought it home and sprayed it with wd40, bagged it and put it away untill the build. I can't remember if I sprayed out the oil holes in the journals. I now am wondering if when it was polished it may have grit left in the holes!!!!!!!!!!. I thought of taking off one main cap at a time and running a q-tip in the oil hole, turning the crank and cleaning the other way. Would this be possible? I don't want to disassemble the bottom end and start over. WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO? THANKS TO ALL THE GIVE THEIR 2 CENTS. HIGHLY APPRECIATED, WALT :sad10:

I know rumblefish is going to insist on starting over............. :la:

The holes run fromt he mains to the rods. So, one way or another, every rod and main will need to come off. So why not make it easier? The time to do it is now. Take the rod caps off one at a time, carefully push the pistons up in the bores,and pull the mains. Wash the crank right, brush out all the holes, and reinstall hte caps, reset end play, and retorque the rods. Should take one afternoon being careful. Dont mix up the caps either...lol.

Also when you remove your rod bolt nuts,cut you some rubber tubing about 1" long that will slide and stay over the threaded rod bolt to prevent scratching the crank journals! I would not use a CUE TIP! The cotton will catch on any little burr and pull off in small pieces! Use a brush! Use a good cleaning solvent with the brush and some good clean air! You can even use the air in a spray can like usied on computers etc!! Relube after is all cleaned properly and reinstall.

No, human. Dumb is knowing you errored, and seeing if running it hurts it.

-
Back