Remove dash

-

stoney79

Reaction score
I have a 64 dart convert. and I am having problems removing the dash. I'm hoping someone knows of an easy way to do this.

You got to take the wind sheld out to do it right. The bolts are captured buy the glass and trim.

Besides the two on each end underneath, there are 5 bolts that hold it near the windshield. One is centered on the radio grill, one centered on the glove box door, one above the turn signal indicators, and one near each corner. I have a 64 dash sitting here so I could see the bolt holes.8) And yes they are under the windshield weatherstrip.

They didn't make it eay did they.

No they did not. Still a lot easyer to work on the older cars than the new ones though.

Try to get every thing done while you have it out. Now would be a good time to replace your wetherstriping and paint your dash if it needs it.

The dash needs to painted, that's why I want to remove it but the glass and the weatherstipping is good.

On a similar note, I have a 64 Dart 4 door 273, and I was 'Armor-all'-ing my dash, and the little knob/button in the center of my speedometer popped off, leaving half of it inside, behind the clear plastic. I would like to get that out of there and maybe re-glue it.
Does any one know how to just remove the clear plastic?
(...and you should see how bright the flourescent paint on the speedometer needle is where the sun never hit it!!)
http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/1437016/tn/117671849/name/002.jpg[/IMG
That's before the knob popped. (Cheap toy camera photo)

On a similar note, I have a 64 Dart 4 door 273, and I was 'Armor-all'-ing my dash, and the little knob/button in the center of my speedometer popped off, leaving half of it inside, behind the clear plastic. I would like to get that out of there and maybe re-glue it.
Does any one know how to just remove the clear plastic?
(...and you should see how bright the flourescent paint on the speedometer needle is where the sun never hit it!!)
http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/1437016/tn/117671849/name/002.jpg[/IMG
That's before the knob popped. (Cheap toy camera photo)[/QUOTE]

Once you remove the instrument cluster from the dash, remove the metal housing from the bezel. Use a dremel tool with a small grinding stone to grind off the plastic rivets holding the clear plastic to the mail bezel. Do your repair and re-install in reverse order. Use someting like hold melt glue to reattach the clear lens to the bezel.

Sometimes putting diesel on the rubber softens it up to get the window out. You can soak the seal in diesel when its out and it will get as soft as it was when it was brand new. I did mine and got it out in one peice real easy, you can do it.

:stop: Don't do it! I tried to remove a MINT original Mopar windshield out of a car with a PERFECT chrome lock strip that made it out of the factory without ever having the mylar carrier taken off, and a beautiful soft gasket. It was coming out slick, and I cracked the windshield in half with 2/3 the glass out. ARRGGHHH! There ya go...I broke a 300 dollar windshield to save an 80 dollar gasket. I'm an idiot.

-
Back