Remove EGR?

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
Just bought used Edelbrock Intake 2176 for 1973 Plymouth Scamp, V8, 318.
I found out my Scamp has EGR connection. Can I use 2176 intake and eliminate EGR? If I ignore EGR, what would it do to my engine and fuel things......??? or I need to go to Intake 3776 which has EGR connection.
Thanks,
Scamp

I've never heard of a problem arising from the elimination of an EGR valve. The hardest thing will be plugging the unused fittings.
I just don't know about CA Emission laws. Do they even test a car that old.

I just don't know about CA Emission laws. Do they even test a car that old.[/QUOTE]

No Smog require Pre-75 vehicle

Areas of CA have different levels of smog tests to a few remote areas that are actually exempt. As far as I know all 74's and older do not need to be tested at all. You do live in San Jose with falls within some of the more stringent areas. I would confirm with a local smog test shop but I'm pretty sure you're ok on that.

your exempt from bi-annual testing...for now... who knows what that stupid Brown streak governer and the other idiots in suckramento will do next... :protest:

that said, you are still supposed to keep all the smog equipment working, you just don't need to have it looked at every other year. also, if you happen to get caught in a moble smog check, and you don't pass the visual, your going to need the parts.

also might want to read this from the 6th post down, lot's of info...
http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25233#25233

my 74' is the first one i've had, (not many came with EGR), that i haven't removed everything. it's made cold engine driving much better and i'm getting around 20 mpg out of my 318

Does CA still waste money with those damned mobile traps?

I got caught soon after I bought the 70 440-6, in about 1971!!

Didn't like the landing lights "Sir you have aircraft landing lights installed in place of your high beams. You are going to have to remove them"

Got for "no license plate light"

Mallory coils are illegal

Edelbrock intake is illegal regardless of what Edlelbrock claims

Holley 800 dp is illegal regardless of what Holley claims

Would not believe the shop manual in the trunk:

Would not believe my car didn't come with evaporative emissions

440-6 doesn't have carb heat

All in all, a real crappy day. I may still have the ticket somewhere

I got caught soon after I bought the 70 440-6, in about 1971!!

Didn't like the landing lights "Sir you have aircraft landing lights installed in place of your high beams. You are going to have to remove them"

Got for "no license plate light"

Mallory coils are illegal

Edelbrock intake is illegal regardless of what Edlelbrock claims

Holley 800 dp is illegal regardless of what Holley claims

Would not believe the shop manual in the trunk:

Would not believe my car didn't come with evaporative emissions

440-6 doesn't have carb heat

All in all, a real crappy day. I may still have the ticket somewhere

glad I don't live there.... all our inspection requires is an engine to be in there!:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoTCSRgvPaM"]Mobile SMOG Check in Palm Desert, Ca - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know it they will target a pre-'75 car at these or not. Can you imagine, you've got places to go and appointments to keep and you get pulled into this?

Just noticed that the driver is filming this and what's that? A cracked windshield? That'll get you.

Yeh.....and let's not forget the *** enders caused by rubber neckers, and the just - plain - traffic slowdowns that all of us have to pay for. So here's a "green" question fer ya?

While the smog nazis are stoppin ONE car to try and find some obscure violation, some small percentage of smog it's producing, I wonder how much ADDITIONAL pollutants are caused by the bumper to bumper traffic surrounding these tie-- ups, and I'd bet they run some sort of generator to provide power for the test equipment.

so just how effective are these in actually accomplishing anything?

Yeh.....and let's not forget the *** enders caused by rubber neckers, and the just - plain - traffic slowdowns that all of us have to pay for. So here's a "green" question fer ya?

While the smog nazis are stoppin ONE car to try and find some obscure violation, some small percentage of smog it's producing, I wonder how much ADDITIONAL pollutants are caused by the bumper to bumper traffic surrounding these tie-- ups, and I'd bet they run some sort of generator to provide power for the test equipment.

so just how effective are these in actually accomplishing anything?

there would be a question the goverment would make a person "go missing" over lol but its one I would like to know

same with cash for clunkers program; most cars that go through that are in better shape then the ones still on the road

i don't know if they would pull me over in the 74' or not. last one i saw was on the other side of the street from me about 2 mi from my house. they also have ones that sniff you as you drive by and take a picture of your plate if it thinks your out of compliance. i've only seen those on the freeway on ramps.
none of it's about cleaning the air here anyway ("california is leading the way and everyone will follow us!!!"), f'n idiots. like china is suddenly going to stop building coal fired power plants and the wind will stop blowing it all over here...
it's about people with nothing better to do than social engineer...
anyway, any after market part you install needs to have the C.A.R.B cert# and you need to keep the paper work forever. if they say the part's not legal, but you know it is (cert#), you just end up at a referee station where they should have a clue and can override the other smog place.

-
Back