Remove Paint From Body Number Stamping

-

Cal Tonsley

Reaction score
In Aus the vehicle body number was originally stamped into the top of the RHS inner fender. Our local registration authority needs to identify this number as part of their inspection to register my car. The issue I have is that the numbers have become totally obscured due to the priming and painting of my car - paint has completely covered and filled the number stampings. I’d really like to preserve the inner fender finish as far as practical so I’m reluctant to just hit it up with the likes of paint stripper or a wire wheel. The funny thing is that the numbers start to become visible if I heat up the area with a hot air gun but as soon as I stop they disappear and I don’t really want to go further and get to the point where I’m actually burning the paint off.
Any suggestions that help expose the stamped numbers while also preserving the finish of the paint work (as far as practical) would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you can locate the spot tape it off and sand by had with 240ish grit sandpaper until it is visible.

Bring a small generator and the heat gun and do the extract same thing you mentioned in front of them. Let them know the car was repainted and this is the best you can do. Best of luck to you.
Syleng1

Same way one finds serial numbers that have been filed off of something. Magnaflux

The stamped metal is more dense and iron powder will gather in those places.

One possibility comes to mind:
Heat the area of the numbers with the heat gun so you can see them; take a hobby knife and carefully score the numbers/letters to remove as much of the paint as possible; then dab a bit of black (or other contrasting color) onto the numbers and wipe it off- the paint should remain in the depressed areas making them more visible for the inspector, and leave the majority of your paint intact.

I don't get to contribute much, but here's a visual example.

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

One possibility comes to mind:
Heat the area of the numbers with the heat gun so you can see them; take a hobby knife and carefully score the numbers/letters to remove as much of the paint as possible; then dab a bit of black (or other contrasting color) onto the numbers and wipe it off- the paint should remain in the depressed areas making them more visible for the inspector, and leave the majority of your paint intact.
Sounds like a good plan, thanks!

Bring a small generator and the heat gun and do the extract same thing you mentioned in front of them. Let them know the car was repainted and this is the best you can do. Best of luck to you.
Syleng1
Thanks, this is a good idea, will just need a cooperative inspector!

If you can locate the spot tape it off and sand by had with 240ish grit sandpaper until it is visible.
I was gonna say similar, but 240 is a little harsh ain't it? I was thinkin maybe 400 or 600. But yeah, I think some wet sanding would probably bring it out.

-
Back