Remove wheel studs

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
So my rear axel still has the left hand studs.The axels are out waiting for bearrings.Can I remove the 5 studs myself or do they have to be pressed out.Thankss

you should be able to just smack them out with a hammer unless they are really seized in there, then they may need a little more persuasion.

Factory wheel studs should have a knurl on them,and i usually just give them a good hit with a hammer and they pop out...

or you can press them out with a bench vice or large C-clamp and an old large socket or piece of pipe

Thats just what I wanted to here guys.Ok like I said the axels are our how can I do this I am thinking use a board on the floor stand the axe on end and get my BFH and wack away.Sound good?

hook the axle flange on the side of a vise and drive the studs out between the jaws.

I actually just did this on my front drums. Just line up and give them a real good whack with a mallet or hammer, should be able to do with one or two good hits and it will drop out the back. I used a sledge to do it because mine were seized in there pretty good. Be careful that you just hit the stud and not the hub or the flange they're pressed into. If the stud is snapped you might have to use a punch and WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

Edit:
You'd only risk bending the flange if you miss the stud and hit it. If you
re just hitting the stud head on it will just drive it out.

what redfish said X2... you should not bend the flange if you just hit the stud and support the flange. That would be better than just whacking it with no support.

If you hold the axle in your hand, and then smack the studs, they should just pop out. Using your hand reduces the risk of bending anything.(just don't hit your hand, kind of like the old "when I nod my head, you hit it")

I will let you know how this turns out.I got pm from someone who wants the left hand studs ,why?

-
Back