Removed my vinyl top...

-

ATW

Reaction score
I could see some bubbling and bumps forming near the rear window so I figured it was time to see what she had under her skirt..

Before:

CIMG0312-2.jpg

The top came off pretty easy.. just find an opening and pull! I found the easiest access spot was the area between the front windshield and the front doors.. just remove the trim piece and yank.

I was expecting to find some nasty demons under it but it was in pretty fine shape compared to what some members found under theirs. The rear window area needs work as the previous resto on the car cut some corners and did lousy patch work.

It's nice to see the original color of Q5 - Bright Turquoise. I also found out that my Dart has the Western Sports Special package.. I've never seen a Q5 with WSS. :angel11:

The top came off easy enough.. and left stuff that looks like old melted cheese left over.

The best way to remove this old adhesive if you're trying to save the paint/top is to soak a rag in gasoline and put it on the area you're scraping for 2-3 minutes, then use a plastic paint scraper and scrape your little heart out. That gets rid of MOST of the gunk in a short time. I followed it up with a bowl of water and dish soap and using a fine steel wool pad... it removed all the remaining gunk/crap and kept the paint intact.

Pic of day 1 top and scraping off old adhesive:

CIMG0423.jpg

Day 2 of scraping..almost done:

CIMG0424.jpg

^^ I like it!

CIMG0425.jpg

Areas of concern:

CIMG0426.jpg

CIMG0427.jpg

Q5 paint code:
CIMG0428.jpg

If anyone has a donor car that can cut some patch panels for the rear window corners or a complete dutchman panel, let me know! I posted a Want ad, too.

Enjoy.

-
Back