removing 9 inch brake drums from hubs

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never had 9 inch drums on anything, but I'm trying to help a friend fix the front brakes on her 1965 Barracuda. What is the recommended way to separate the drums from the hubs? I presume that it means pressing the studs far enough down in the hub to release the drum? They don't appear to be swedged and the ones on the left side have been replaced at one time with Dorman replacements to get rid of the left hand threads.

Why remove the drums? If not swedged, drive drum off from the rear. Make sure you have the replacement drums before you start.

They are very likely swedged on. Look at the base of the wheel studs where they meet the drum. It they appear to have been "mashed" around the drum at each wheel stud hole, they're swedged on. Do NOT just drive the studs out with a hammer. That will ruin the wheel stud holes on the hub. Get a 5/8 metal cutting hole saw and cut ALL THE WAY through the swedge AND the drum just to the surface of the hub, then drive the studs out. The drums will now fit loose on the hubs, but they are hub centric and don't need to be swedged. They were swedged only to hold them on going down the assembly line.

Before you go to too much trouble, check the outer bearing race to verify it doesn't spin in the hub. It needs to fit tight, as in a press fit. They're notorious for doing that. If it's spins, you need a new hub.....or rather a good used one as nobody makes a new replacement.

-
Back