Removing a 318 from a van

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’m considering removing a tired 318 from my newly acquired 84 Dodge van.
1st thought was remove radiator and bumper/ grille and slide it out the opening.
2nd thought was take the van off the frame and roll the frame out and work on it like a gentleman. Swap out 904 for an over drive, rip off homemade exhaust for headers and side pipes.
You know - normal Mopar stuff.

Thoughts?
#318willrun got a thought?

The other choice is to remove the passenger seat and pull it through the passenger door. I've done this method before. Transmission needs to be removed first. Probably the cleanest way is to pull it out the front.

Are you keeping the van or just taking off what you need? I pulled a 360 with trans from a 75 van years ago. I used a Sawzall to make space in the front. If you take take carb off, you can chain it really tight and slide a engine hoist in and pull it that way. I cheated and did all the same, but used a forklift.

...Swap out 904 for an over drive, rip off homemade exhaust for headers and side pipes.
You know - normal Mopar stuff.

i feel seen.

anyway, i know it can be done with a shimmy shake thru the pass door and it's not the worst thing in the world. i believe to go thru the front you gotta take off all the accessories + heads along with all the front end junk that's bolted on up there.

pick your poison, i guess.

i feel seen.

anyway, i know it can be done with a shimmy shake thru the pass door and it's not the worst thing in the world. i believe to go thru the front you gotta take off all the accessories + heads along with all the front end junk that's bolted on up there.

pick your poison, i guess.
wouldn't it have been nice if they would have made the entire front end (grill/supports/etc) swing open like a gate? That would have been genius.

I pulled the engine out of my '78 Good Times van. The front radiator support unbolts, had to remove the intake manifold and stick the cherry picker right down in the valley. Not real difficult, just use your head, take your time. Not sure about taking it out through the cargo door.

Never pulled one from a van. Can a lift be used to drop out from under? IDK You probably don't have a lift accessible?

I have done 4 engine swaps in the Dodge vans.
1. Pull trans.
2. Remove passenger seat and it’s floor mount.
3. Jack up van pass. side remove front tire
4. Remove hoses, wiring, exhaust system and other miscellaneous, attach cherry picker pull motor mount nuts and out it comes. Lift it up some and spin it sideways - all through the passenger door. ** KEEP READING **
If it has carpet put down cardboard first. One thing I missed is after the trans is removed, use a couple of the trans bolts in the two holes near the top of the bell housing mount on the block to support the rear of the engine across the opening with some wood blocks. Patience and care comes in play but it really doesn’t take long.
Also if it has air conditioning remove the compressor first, the power steering pump and alternator removed also makes it easier.
And- don’t forget the fuel line.

I pulled a 400/727 out of a 77 van.

No way was it coming out the side.

Out the front was actually not too bad.

That engine screamed for a "smog" motor.

Are you keeping the van or just taking off what you need? I pulled a 360 with trans from a 75 van years ago. I used a Sawzall to make space in the front. If you take take carb off, you can chain it really tight and slide an engine hoist in and pull it that way. I cheated and did all the same, but used a forklift.
Keeping and installing a better engine.

So far no one voted for lift body off frame.

I’ve done a few engines out the passenger side of Chevrolet vans my company has owned in the past - 350 and 400. In G20-30 series. Dog house area ends up taking a beating because of little room and only 2 people can see only 2 sides at a time. Sealing afterwards for water and wind noises.

-
Back