removing a/c from 74 valiant

-

deliriumx

Reaction score
ok its a stock 318 with an a/c but its missing parts and i just want to remove it but im not sure how to get the belts right since the alt. belt wont clear the water pump. I have replaced alot of things on this car my self but this ones got me stumped. i can take pics tomorrow if needed since i know these 74 valiant/swingers are not common. anyone ever try this before?

You need the alternator bracket, water pump pulley and crank pulley from a non-A/C small block, if you have power steering get a crank pulley with 2-3 grooves.

Heres a pics of it on the car, the alternator bolts to the head on non-A/C cars.

DSC07633.jpg

wow thanks man can all this be done with the engine still in? if so this is good news :D

also does anyone sell these online? and yes it has power streering. if no one sells em maybe i'll check out the junk yard

also does anyone sell these online? and yes it has power streering. if no one sells em maybe i'll check out the junk yard

Man I think you should fix the AC.. Seriously.. Rather than go through all that trouble to get rid of it.. Why not just get it working.. AC cars are the best !! An if its the power drail you are worried about.. It doesnt make a lick of difference when it isnt running..

deliriumx,

I agree A/C is nice, but is it worth the cost of repair? I decided against it (trying to put the HOT back in HOT ROD).

Therefore, I removed all of the underhood A/C components from my '71 Dart GT (and saved every component in case I come into some $$$). It was a simple process. If you look at the cardomain link, in my signature, you should be able to figure it out. Also, try searching on this site under my user name for help. If you need some details I can assist there as well.

Good Luck!

deliriumx,

I agree A/C is nice, but is it worth the cost of repair? I decided against it (trying to put the HOT back in HOT ROD).

Therefore, I removed all of the underhood A/C components from my '71 Dart GT (and saved every component in case I come into some $$$). It was a simple process. If you look at the cardomain link, in my signature, you should be able to figure it out. Also, try searching on this site under my user name for help. If you need some details I can assist there as well.

Good Luck!

DartGTDan, the brackets in your "finished conversion" pic are very clean looking. Did you fab those up? I noticed they are not the modified A/C brackets you show in the previous pics. If you found a drop in replacement could you point me in that direction? Also is the grind on the waterpump still necessary with that setup? Thx

~Sae

if your goingto fix it, replace all the seals and appropriate peices to run 134-a

DartGTDan, the brackets in your "finished conversion" pic are very clean looking. Did you fab those up? I noticed they are not the modified A/C brackets you show in the previous pics. If you found a drop in replacement could you point me in that direction? Also is the grind on the waterpump still necessary with that setup? Thx

~Sae

Saetun,

The top rear bracket is in fact an original bracket (purchased from e-bay & modified with a bandsaw).

The top front bracket is one of those small block Chevy chrome alternator brackets (found in the cheapie section of autozone ($10)) that was also cut/ground down.

Bottom bracketry is all from the factory.

I needed to grind the water pump rib because I wanted to use the same size belt for the crank/power steering/water pump and the crank/alternator. If I had purchased a smaller diameter belt I may have been able to adjust/rotate the alternator down further and clear the water pump rib altogether.

I have other pictures if you need more help.

Dan

-
Back