Removing a side mirror

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
It's a 1973 Dart Custom. I'd like to remove the side mirror for painting reasons. Everything is removed but assuming I need to pull the the cables plus toggle through the hole left by the mirror, I will need to remove the square clip from the threads on the toggle body. Is there a technique for removing that? Or, is there a way to separate the cables from the mirror body at the opposite end?
20241019_111809.jpg

You mean to tell me that you can't unthread that metal clip from the mirror adjuster? Looks as though you could.

It most likely has a flat and a tab to keep the lever from rotating in the door.

There are 2 or 3 tabs that are touching the threads

CAREFULLY lift one tab at a time and move it over a thread. Do the same rotating around the threads.

Red are the lock tabs

Yellow are the flat alignment tabs

Green is the alignment tabs for the door skin

Screenshot_20241019-190531.png

There are reman clips available 521 Restoration has them but they might not be the same.

Last edited:
Lube it up real good first and then do what Dana67Dart mentioned. I like to use some needle nose or duck billed pliers to SLIGHTLY bend that plate to get it to move off the control. Just a real minor flex is all that's needed. More than that and that spring steel can snap. Oh, and don't try to remove the cables from either end. Things break real easy trying to do that.

You mean to tell me that you can't unthread that metal clip from the mirror adjuster? Looks as though you could.
Lol! With all due respect, you make it sound like child's play. Fat chance of that. Those sharp spring steel tabs are dug into those softer pot metal threads, and with a little corrosion to boot, it would not be as easy as you make it out to be; however, Cudamark and Dana67Dart are on to something.
Plus, it's in an awkward place to get to.

Lol! With all due respect, you make it sound like child's play. Fat chance of that. Those sharp spring steel tabs are dug into those softer pot metal threads, and with a little corrosion to boot, it would not be as easy as you make it out to be; however, Cudamark and Dana67Dart are on to something.
Plus, it's in an awkward place to get to.
lmao, It was a question. Sorry if your feelings got hurt. It's not in all caps or multiple exclamation marks. Go take care of your clip for fks sake.

My apology A56. I did appreciate your input. I re-read my post. I was a bit of a turdlinger.

Thanks Dana67!

-
Back