removing door locks?

-

Burntorange70

Reaction score
I am trying to take the door locks out of a 75 Duster and put them in to a 72 demon. I can't get them out. Is there a trick to it I am not seeing? Thank you for any help you can give.

Thanks again,
Russell

What tool did you get in there and use to pull the c clip? Once the clip is off will the lock just pop out? Thanks

Not sure if you guys are still around?

I use a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. Bump the clip far enough with the screwdriver to grab it with the needle noses.

They look like this and they slide out towards the front of the car.
The little lip edge is what you will see right next to the lock cylinder, and that is what you get ahold of.

Attachments

• CH20301-lrg.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 171
I have had to remove a million of these things when I had a locksmith biz. Some cars were rustproofed, and factory applied sound deadening often cements these clips in place causing them to resist one’s advances.
Easiest method to remove and reinstall “C” clip securing door lock cylinder is a pair of small vice grips. You can put a little English on the damn thing, it won’t get away from you dropping to the bottom of door, and you won’t bust up your knuckles on raw sheet metal edges when a screwdriver or other plier slips.

I've pulled a few hundred of these in the past as well, and tbh the best tool is a small AWP-series pliers from Snap-On (I suggest AWP65, but 45 is also exceedingly handy for a mini-pliers). They're at just the right angle to get a good bite on the clip edge, and make it a simple case of squeeze-and-pull... Yet another aspect of the AWP-series that makes them worth their weight in Gold. :)

- CK

What tool did you get in there and use to pull the c clip? Once the clip is off will the lock just pop out? Thanks

Not sure if you guys are still around?

Well that was 5 years ago and hell if I can remember now. LOL

Think it was either a flat screwdriver or needle nose pliers or a combo of both. Yes after the clip is removed the lock should come right out.

-
Back