removing floor console 71 Demon auto

-

bananayellow

72demon
Reaction score
is it possible to remove just the top off of the console without taking the whole console out and apart? i know the glove box and lid come out easily but i would like to lift off the rest as well. or do i have to remove the complete console.
also how does one remove the shifter knob off of the auto shifter.

I think the whole console has to come out. There are several small nuts on the underside holding the top on. There is a small set screw pointing rearward just below the wooden part on the knob in the chrome "shoulder". Just loosen it, spin the knob counter clockwise to unscrew it from the lock cable until it comes off.

4 screws hold the console in......2 are located at the bottom of the storage compartment, and two are located near the tip on the console under the carpet. One on each side. Be careful when you lift it it up, as it is easy to damage the plastic strip that the shifter leaver protrudes through in the PRNDL area. Good luck.

I think the whole console has to come out. There are several small nuts on the underside holding the top on. There is a small set screw pointing rearward just below the wooden part on the knob in the chrome "shoulder". Just loosen it, spin the knob counter clockwise to unscrew it from the lock cable until it comes off.

4 screws hold the console in......2 are located at the bottom of the storage compartment, and two are located near the tip on the console under the carpet. One on each side. Be careful when you lift it it up, as it is easy to damage the plastic strip that the shifter leaver protrudes through in the PRNDL area. Good luck.

thanks! i will give that a try :)

Yes, you have to remove the console to get the top plate off. Dont forget to remove the shifter knob before trying to lift console.
Loosen the allen set screw in the knob then it unscrews.

Great info. Just to add that the smallest parts are often the hardest to find, so, take care of that allen screw - almost as if your life depended on it. :eek:. And, be mindful of the spring under the knob. Have a safe new years everyone.:steering:

-
Back