Removing ignition lock

-

Kikowillers

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I just got a new ignition lock for my Dart and need a bit of help.

1. How do I remove the ignition switch bezel? according to the workshop manual it needs a special tool which I don't have, some sort of lock spanner.

2. Do I need to take the whole switch out to replace the lock?

3. How do I extract the lock from the ignition switch, and replace with the new one?

4. Any tips and tricks to make my life a little easier?

Cheers!

Sounds like you have an earlier car (~1970 or earlier) that had the ignition switch in the dash (not column). It would help if you told us your year and model, though Oz cars could be different. I don't have the special tool, so I just put 2 small flat screwdrivers in the inner slots and use a 3rd screwdriver to turn them, while wiggling. When you re-install, add a little anti-seize and don't tighten too much for the next guy.

Sounds like you have an earlier car (~1970 or earlier) that had the ignition switch in the dash (not column). It would help if you told us your year and model, though Oz cars could be different. I don't have the special tool, so I just put 2 small flat screwdrivers in the inner slots and use a 3rd screwdriver to turn them, while wiggling. When you re-install, add a little anti-seize and don't tighten too much for the next guy.

Yep, that's the one - it's a 1970 Brazilian Dart which is the same as the 1969 American. I'll try that approach, it makes sense. Hopefully I won't tore up the dash... Hehehe.

Cheers!

Update

Got the ignition lock out and to my surprise the new lock did not match the original, mine had a shaft at the bottom which the replacement didn't.

After a few minutes of desperation, we decided to do some surgery and replace the lock secret in the old lock with the secret from the new lock. It worked beautifully, now the one key works on doors (new locks) and ignition.

Cheers!

-
Back