removing light rust off of roof? advice

-

evil 340

Reaction score
well, i knew i d have to deal with this once i got to the roof, but i m not sure the best way to tackle it.
the guy i got the car from tried to strip the car himself and left part of the roof in bare metal and never primed it-neutralized the stripper and now i m left with very light guages in the roof from the razor blade that have rust in them. they re just deep enough that 80 grit won t take them out plus they ve had time to corrode. it s not everywhere and it s not that serious, but i have to eliminate it before i put primer on it.
i know i could lightly coat the areas with diluted miratic acid and clean it, but its a pain. i don t wanna blast it, cause its a wide open panel and prone to warp. i put a regulator on my spot blaster to turn the pressure down, but there s just too much area to cover.
anybody out there dealt with this before with success? thanks for any help.

Might try a angle grinder with a wire cup wheel. I wouldn't be too afraid of blasting just go at it from the side and not head on and keep moving.

Might try a angle grinder with a wire cup wheel. I wouldn't be too afraid of blasting just go at it from the side and not head on and keep moving.

be sure to use the crimped wire NOT the knotted wire and keep the grinder moving. Do not idle in one spot for long periods of time.

-
Back