Removing Mirror Glass for Powder Coating

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I have non remote mirrors and was looking to remove the glass to powder coat the housings. Does anybody know if the glass can be popped out easily or will i destroy the glass taking them out? There looks like some sort of neoprene gasket around the glass or something that holds it in. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you press in on the glass( it is spring loaded) and there is a retainer clip that keeps the glass from coming out. Remove the clip and the glass comes out.This is how it's done on the 2 post 65 mirrors.I assume it would be the same for a later mirror

Be careful -- a lot of mirror housings are thick pot metal that will not enjoy being heated up.

Oh goodie another thing to worry about. I bought a set of aftermarket repop mirrors for my 71 Scamp so I don't know if they will handle it. What has been your experience with aftermarket mirror housings? Here's the ones I bought: Mirrors

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know you have many years doing powder coating on Mopar parts.

It's not a HUGE investment if it blows up into a minefield of bubbles. By that same token, pot metal is used on emblems and bezels and door handles because it's cheap. You probably aren't starting out with a high quality piece.

I wouldn't put a lot of hope in it turning out very well. Keep us posted!

It's not a HUGE investment if it blows up into a minefield of bubbles. By that same token, pot metal is used on emblems and bezels and door handles because it's cheap. You probably aren't starting out with a high quality piece.

I wouldn't put a lot of hope in it turning out very well. Keep us posted!

Well that just crushed my hopes of powder coating all my chrome and polished trim flat black. Guess it all stays as is because paint won't last long on the trim.

Well that just crushed my hopes of powder coating all my chrome and polished trim flat black. Guess it all stays as is because paint won't last long on the trim.

Oh don't be crushed!! If you scuff up the trim to give the powder some tooth it should be all right. You could spray bomb the pot metal.

An old Mopar remote mirror I took apart had hardened black stuff in 4 spots of what I believe was fish tank sealer. I'm thinking it was used on the old metal frame aquariums as I recall. A pain to get the mirror off intact even with heat and a knife. Basically had to cut through it.
A newer aftermarket came right of with just a little heat though.
MirrorRemove4.gif
MirrorRemove6.gif

Oh don't be crushed!! If you scuff up the trim to give the powder some tooth it should be all right. You could spray bomb the pot metal.

How much scuff does the parts need; scuff pad, 320 grit paper, etc? Also, will powder fill and self level in scratches and small pits? The reason I ask is because the chromed surface on my vent window frames is slightly pitted. Leanna I appreciate all the info you have given me so far. You are indeed the Queen of Mopar!

An old Mopar remote mirror I took apart had hardened black stuff in 4 spots of what I believe was fish tank sealer. I'm thinking it was used on the old metal frame aquariums as I recall. A pain to get the mirror off intact even with heat and a knife. Basically had to cut through it.
A newer aftermarket came right of with just a little heat though.
View attachment 1715171493 View attachment 1715171494

Dave, Is your mirror remote adjustable? I have non remote mirrors and they look like they have some sort of rubber or neoprene gasket wedged between the housing and the perimeter of the glass. I just don't want to pry and break the glass if that's not what actually holds the glass in.

The one on the left is an old stock remote mirror, 74ish maybe? I used a lot of heat and this black stuff was a PITA. I have no idea what is holding yours on. If its a foam content I'd suspect double sided trim tape? Maybe fishing line will help. Check if there are replacement size mirrors available before you try to remove one.

How much scuff does the parts need; scuff pad, 320 grit paper, etc? Also, will powder fill and self level in scratches and small pits? The reason I ask is because the chromed surface on my vent window frames is slightly pitted. Leanna I appreciate all the info you have given me so far. You are indeed the Queen of Mopar!

320 grit isn't really going to do much as far as surface prep (but I'm no painter) -- I'd probably start with 120 and limited pressure. If you decide to try the powder coating, powder will self level but if it's done right (2-3 mil thickness) it will NOT fill in imperfections or pitting. Clean up your metal the best you can first before roughing up the overall finish regardless of whether you paint or powder it.

I did this years ago. I soaked mine in a small magnetic dish full of what I believe was paint thinner and it loosened up the adhesive inside enough to be able to pop the glass out with no problem.

-
Back