Removing Paint w/a/ Sander

-
^^^^^ Did a whole Duster with a DA and 80 grit. Prepare for sore arms and ringing in your ears...

Sure, you can strip an entire vehicle with a DA and 80 grit. You can also dig a ditch with a spoon.

I would lean towards Aircraft stripper with cleanup with a DA or 80 grit on an 8" backing pad and variable speed rotary electric (which it totally doable without damage).

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree,and yes I did not enjoy it.But when it's all ya got........

I totally get it - you work within your means. The job sucks no matter how you cut it. I'm suggesting to the OP options to make the job, in my opinion, a little less sucky.

A buddy and I used paint stripper on a 71 Road Runner 20+ years ago. It was a mess.

This car has mostly just the original paint w/a light spray can coat over that. The hood and fenders are new 'glass. The doors, not original to the car, have been repainted, seems to be the heaviest paint on them. The taillight panel will be new, one other thing that won't have much paint on it.

I think I'll try the DA. I've wanted to get one anyway. I'll see if I can find an 8" disc.

I'm in no hurry. I'm working on the doors now. I'll do just them first.

I've been down this road before. I've color sanded and buffed a couple new paint jobs. It was hardest to hold the (damned heavy) buffer up to the car!

It's been a long time since I've done any body work. Trying to get back in the flow...

Oh, is there any appreciable difference between air and electric? I think I prefer electric. My compressor is a noisy diaphram gizmo.

If I'm going to use a sander to strip paint, what's best? DA? Hi speed? Or?

ToolTopia.com

If you have a low speed grinder/buffer I suggest using a 7' foam disc./velcro face with initially using 40 grit sanding discs then finishing with 80 grit discs. It's fast and it does the job. I highly recommend removing trim and glass or at least protect it, just in case it gets away from you.

Note: Wear PPE - heavy gloves, goggles, long sleeve shirt or leather sleeves and safety boots.

Good luck with your project.

Like I said before and sscuda reiterated - electric rotary. Just last night my son stripped the roof of a truck in short order with a variable speed grinder/polisher (slowed down) with 80 grit hook/loop discs on an 8" rubber backing pad - and made relatively quick work of it.

Some of those old factory finishes can be pretty tough. Like sscuda suggested, 40 grit might be a good starting point but you need to be careful around body/character lines.

My compressor is a noisy diaphram gizmo.

Yeah, an air powered DA consumes a lot of air. A compressor like that generally can't keep up.

Last edited:
70Duster440 and scuda, I have a polisher/buffer, but it's not variable speed. It's 3000 rpm. I like the idea of using a big, foam pad w/ velcro. Sounds nice and aggressive without being too crazy. Think the constant speed will be okay?

I'm still going to buy a DA, I'll need it too.

70Duster440 and scuda, I have a polisher/buffer, but it's not variable speed. It's 3000 rpm. I like the idea of using a big, foam pad w/ velcro. Sounds nice and aggressive without being too crazy. Think the constant speed will be okay?

I'm still going to buy a DA, I'll need it too.

3,000 rpm is way too much. If that thing gets away from you it will hurt. 1700 is about a safe rpm. A good low speed or variable speed grinder/buffer sells for around $80.00. It will save you a ton of time.

If its original evaporated or sun beat paint, shouldnt be an issue with a sander at all.
I prefer this method over chemical stripping.
Main reason is if you run into some plastic you usually dont have to remove it
all and start over. Depending on craftmanship and why it was used to begin with.

Like said above, rotary buffer with an 8 inch foam psa or hook-it pad.. I start with 40g and take it down to almost the e-coat then switch to 80 and take it to metal. Watch the heat on the metal. Then run it with 80g on a DA.

Stripper is not what it used to be. It takes twice as much as it used to. I use the 3m red abrasives in 8 inch which can be had in 25 sheets per box. A box of each is enough to get the job done. Way less then you will spend in stripper.

3M 05579 Stikit Disc Pad

On a buffer. 3k rpms is a grinder and will dig grooves even with sandpaper.

You will get the best results using an aircraft stripper first at least on the roof, hood and trunk lid. This will remove and minimise the amount of product you will need to remove with 80 grit sand paper using a variable speed 8" sander. The reason I say this is because it will also minimise the time you spend sanding especially on flat panels. Sanding on a panel too long will cause the panel to get hot, if you spend too much time in one place on any flat panel you will warp the metal. When using the 8" sander with 80 grit, keep the sander moving, do not stay in 1 spot too long. A variable speed sander will remove the paint faster and generate less heat to the metal than a D/A.

-
Back