removing rear seatbelts

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I'm having trouble removing the center rear seatbelt bolts from my 68 Barracuda. The backing plates are not attached to anything so they spin when I try to unbolt the interior setbelt bolts. I ran a steel bar between the two exterior plates to stop them from spinning but I still couldn't buge them; I gave up as I didn't want to snap anything off. Should the bolt tip be visible through the nut plate?

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 118
I'm not sure what the heck I'm seeing there. A flat bar welded to the end of the seat belt bolt ?

I dont see evidence of the factory nut plate turning..
Foreign object ? I dont have a cxlue why that was added..

Attachments

• nut plate.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 105
Rust remover , let set , do it again . Tap fermly with hammer. Apply vice grips to back to keep from spinning. Work bolt slowly. Seat belt threads are fine threaded and can really seize up.

The guy before me had planned to race it so maybe he was strengthening the gastank attachment points. Thanks for advice, I'll give it a whirl.

Might be remnants of exhaust hanger too. The 67 had only one strap on the fuel and routed left to right. 68 up had 2 straps forward to rear. If someone changed to the later tank they would need some strap changes.
Anyway... Good luck with it.

-
Back