removing spider gears 7.25

-
ok pry that centre out

normally you would flex the case but a pry bar will ping it out along with its beraimgs and shims

stand center it in a vice with the bolt heads upwards

and undo the bolts that hold both parts of the centre together (not the bolts for the ring gear)

take off the top half bits will fall out

don't loose any little dowels that old the cross pin in place

pull off the spider gears and any cupped shim washers

Job done

Dave
what do you mean "undo the bolts that hold both parts of the center together; take off the top half; bits will fall out" ?

also, i'm not 100% sure, but you might not be able to slide the pin out with the ring gear in place.

well normally the 2 hemispheres are held togher with bolts
once they ar undone it come apart

i could well be wrong in this case as i'm basing this on other axles ive pulled apart

however looking back at the range of different diagrams in the previous posts it looks like you may be able to get the differential parts out through the window on this one
and its just a cage rather than 2 parts. my mistake i had assumed LSD rather than open

either way as i say it will be quite obvious
and yes you may need to remove ring gear if it covers the end of the pin

lesson learned i should wait for all the attachments to load....

I'm pretty sure that the Chrysler Fifth Avenue cars had a weird version of the 7 1/4" axle. It had 3" axle tubes, 10" drum brakes and crazy tall gears, like a 2.21 or something close to it. The Diplomat and Gran Fury shared the same body style but the Police cars in those models used an 8 1/4.
That's what I have heard, also. But I have an 88 Diplomat (non cop car) it has an 8 1/4. I also have the complete drive train from a 89 Diplomat cop car That is a 8 1/4 open, and had heard the cop cars got sure grips.

well normally the 2 hemispheres are held togher with bolts
once they ar undone it come apart

i could well be wrong in this case as i'm basing this on other axles ive pulled apart

however looking back at the range of different diagrams in the previous posts it looks like you may be able to get the differential parts out through the window on this one
and its just a cage rather than 2 parts. my mistake i had assumed LSD rather than open

either way as i say it will be quite obvious
and yes you may need to remove ring gear if it covers the end of the pin

lesson learned i should wait for all the attachments to load....
yeah the LSD version is a two piece (and gawd forbid you snap off one of those bolts), the std is one piece with a larger window on the one side that you can easily snake everything out of. or, everything just falls out of.

i'm not 100% on the ring gear trapping the cross pin because every time i've been that far in i remove the ring gear as a matter of course.

You don't need to remove the spider gears. Slide the axles out, remove the four bolts that hold the carrier caps on then the caps and then pry the whole carrier out. I don't need the ring gear, so you can take that off. I just need the entire carrier assembly, internal gears and all. No need to take it apart. If I remember right, the ring gear bolts are left hand thread
I think RRR wants the entire carrier less the ring gear to reduce shipping weight.

I'm pretty sure this thread is at an end.

So I have not ever disassembled a 7 1/4 rear end before (usually you remove them from the car and toss) but I need to remove the spider gears for another member.

Is it much different from a 8.25 ?

can someone describe the steps to removing the spider gears so I don't lose much time messing with this thing?.
@RustyRatRod
In my experience, the quickest way to remove 7 1/4" spider gears is to begin a burnout on concrete and move forward onto asphalt. The spider gear teeth will come shooting out of the cover plate.

I had a 1981 Dodge Marida 318 auto that had a 7 1/4 2.20 open. It had C clips.

But the 30 or so 1961-74 7.25's I've had the covers off, all were NOT c clip.

I've had a few 7.25's with Suregrip, One held up behind a 9.5:1 360 4 bbl 727 auto, 3.23:1 ratio.....
Never was stupid enough to try a gravel burnout onto pavement. Just saying......

-
Back