removing steering column

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I need to remove the steering column soon. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that where the pin is located the hole is larger on one side than the other. Which direction does the pin come out. I did briefly tap it with a hammer from both sides and it didn't seem to move

In the coupler? Never seen one direction specific. .
But if yours is, well then, it would have to go back out the big-hole side.
The pins are very,very tight, for a reason.
Tapping doesn't scare them in the least

yea - tapping = no go. you'll need some PB Blaster, a good punch, a hammer and some patience... do you have an FSM? it may appear to be different from one side to the other - but it's not - same same

I'm talking about where the column connects to the steering box
It's definitely different size holes on each side

They make them bigger on one side, so it's easier to re install the pin. Comes out either way .

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure. Need to remove it for painting as well as replace a gasket that literally feel apart in the garage. I'll get back to work on this in a week or two.

"Factory Service Manual." You can download quite a few, free, from MyMopar. Some of them there came from the guys on here

You need a GOOD punch and a BIG hammer "sometimes."

I have a service manual , that went right over my head though

I'm getting old. I told someone about retiring and going back to work part time. I have to wear a name tag so I can remember who I am. Now at church they are wanting us to wear name tags too

....Now at church they are wanting us to wear name tags too...
Same here! I think it's a great idea as we got some geezers at my church. And I forget my kids name sometimes....

I also have a factory service manual and it doesn't discuss removing the pin. Hope to work on that tomorrow.

I also have a factory service manual and it doesn't discuss removing the pin. Hope to work on that tomorrow.
I pounds that pin with a 3lb sledge and only mushroomed it. I would center drill it as large as possible, just keep using larger bits until you can tap it out. The pin comes with the coupler I believe.

It is a "roll pin", I recall (split down the side). Came out fairly easy in both my A's, but they lived most their life in dry CA. Try to get a rod that fits the hole close so you push on the pin and don't mushroom it out as you tap.

if you get in trouble T I can have 1 in the garage out of a 65 barracuda if that helps , but never removed a pin , or noticed 1 size bigger than the other . GL with it brother pm if you need more confermation on the pin size . HAGR81 BROTHER

They can be a ***** to get them out. I found the stouter the punch the easier they are to remove. The trick is to get a punch large enough so that you don't drive it into the center of the roll pin but no larger than the diameter of the pin. And oh yeah, you gotta hit than punch like it owes you money! Not tap it.

There was no "roll" to my pin, that sucker was solid steel. good example...
shaftcut.jpg

-
Back