Removing the starter

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
Any suggestions on doing this? My starter took a crap in my 65 dart gt. I got one of the two bolts off of it, but the other one is surrounded by a cluster-f$#% of things and I'm just not sure how to even go about getting at it. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on doing this? My starter took a crap in my 65 dart gt. I got one of the two bolts off of it, but the other one is surrounded by a cluster-f$#% of things and I'm just not sure how to even go about getting at it. Any suggestions?
Wiggle, jiggle, cuss, and swear. I couldn't remember how I took mine out. I did replace it with a mini starter from a Dakota though. I wish I could help more. toolman

It's hard to really help when we can't see what you have surrounding the starter. Do you have a V8 or slant? One thing is for sure you want to get the vehicle as high in the air as possible SAFELY!! This will help out a ton.

Sorry I can't help much but I would highly recommend a mini starter as your replacement. They're a little bit more expensive but they are less noisy, lighter, and smaller.

As I recall, in my pre Ram starter days, the big **** had to be unbolted, moved forward, rotated and then turned up on its end and slid down bwtween the pan and the torsion bar. Plus the thing weighs about 20 lbs and is slippery with oil and road grime. Long extensions can get the top out or a very patient box end session, but remember to remmove the Negative battery cable prior as you will be working next to the live starter lug. Replace with the smaller Ram style, youll thank yourself the first time you install it and crank it over.

TIP: Don't completely remove the top bolt. Save it for last so it carries the weight instead of you.

How would I get my hands on a ram starter without junk yarding it? I need this thing up and running by tomorrow, and don't really want to go through junk yard searching to no avail. Could I just go into a parts store and ask for a new starter from a blahblahblah year ram starter?

Which years would work well?

I have gotten a couple of starters from Advanced Auto. I believe I usually ask for a 90 ram starter.

I did mine last spring,
All I can say is the top bolt was a ***** with the old starter, I got it out and sat the starter on the C-Link. Crawled out from under the car , turned the wheel all the way to the pass side and it fell out on the floor. The mini went in very easy. I do suggest you get a 5/8 half moon or Cwrench. it makes that top bolt a lot easier to tighten. I got a whole set for 12.99.

Starter for a 1995 era Dakota. Any auto parts store will have one. :)

Top bolt is a pain in the butt, I used a 3 foot long extension, plus a short extension.I took the battery out of the car too, so no way the cables could be hooked back up by mistake, if anyone walked by.

I am glad I went with the small starter; it weighs less, draws less current, and it spins the engine faster.8)

I had to turn the steering more than once to remove the starter.

Use more than one jack stand, be SAFE> please.

2e04.jpg

O'Reilly Auto Parts

Ultima Select - Starter
Part Number: 33355
Line: USL Online:
Available
Store:
Call Store Usually Available in 24 Hours
Add to Wishlist Price
$99.99 Each
Plus Core $5.00

•New

4323 North Blackstone

Fresno, CA

(559) 225-1396

or

CA FRESNO 4158 North West Avenue (559) 230-0993

Sun: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

So I just replaced it with the stock starter for now, but now it's making a clicking sound whenever the car is running and it sounds off when starting up. Maybe I didn't tighten it on completely flush? Anyone know what could be causing this? When starting it, it just sounds higher pitched than usual, but maybe I'm just comparing it to my old worn out starter.

I can try and take a video tomorrow.

So I just replaced it with the stock starter for now, but now it's making a clicking sound whenever the car is running and it sounds off when starting up. Maybe I didn't tighten it on completely flush? Anyone know what could be causing this? When starting it, it just sounds higher pitched than usual, but maybe I'm just comparing it to my old worn out starter.

I can try and take a video tomorrow.

No mini starter huh? Oooooo.... K.....

Sounds like you have a new bad starter or wires are touching and throwing the starter solenoid out at random.

If the starter is working fine far as engaging the flex plate or fly wheel without misalignment I would have to say it's the starter.

I used two or three long 3/8 drive extensions, working from the front of the engine past the driver side motor mount. Make sure they are long enough to reach the clear area near the front of the block. You will have to attach the extensions one by one as you go. Keep the extensions close to the block, and slide the thing between the block and the exhaust manifold down pipe. Once you have the extensions and socket located on the bolt, attach the ratchet to the extensions at the front of the engine; you'll have just enough room to swing it. Get someone to hold the whole thing once you locate the bolt head. It's either a 9/16 or 5/8...it's been a while since I changed the starter on a 65 Cuda. Be sure to disconnect the battery!

the top bolt is a tuffie use stubby 5/8 wrench and go in from the top in between firewall and engine,I do this one first then go underneath so I can support the starter whil removing the lower bolt with long extension on ratchet...turn wheels to left for clearance od pittman arm.......good luck

-
Back