Removing Theft Proof Screws on barracuda gas cap?

-

blk340cuda

Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone still has special tool C-4058 to remove theft proof screws on barracuda gas cap? Trying to restore a 68 barracuda and need to remove.....

Does anyone know if someone still has special tool C-4058 to remove theft proof screws on barracuda gas cap? Trying to restore a 68 barracuda and need to remove.....

Can't picture what the head configuration looks like on these screws but to name a couple Lisle and Harbor freight sell a security bit set. Sure Craftsmen and KD, SK, Snap On and Mac all sell them too.

Hmmm ...new member... Trying to figure out how to defeat a 'theft proof' fastener... How do we know you're not a crook trying to steal somebody's gas cap, Huh? How do we know?

Sorry man, I have no idea, but I'll bet you'll get your answer here, soon enough. Welcome to FABO, the best site for a-bodies on the web.

Found this in the archives:

09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

If you have the theft proof screws you can use vice grips on the screws on the inside of the trunk. When the heads are sticking out a little you can use the vice grips on the heads from the outside.

What do I know?
See Below Post

NO,NO,NO. Small screwdriver, light taps, work them out from the outside. No vice grips. When re-Install, screw them in, tap with mallet to tighten. That is how the dealer did it in 1970. The same technique was used to remove the Antenna from the fender.

Thanks old Mopar Dude, Tapping with a screwdriver and hammer worked like a charm....All three came right out.

snap on sells the special socket. Bought one years ago for working on Chrysler high end stereos from the 80s. some of these use the same theft proof style fastener head. I think the socket was about $5.00

NO,NO,NO. Small screwdriver, light taps, work them out from the outside. No vice grips. When re-Install, screw them in, tap with mallet to tighten. That is how the dealer did it in 1970. The same technique was used to remove the Antenna from the fender.
Worked perfectly!! Thanks Oldmopardude you saved me from buying the tool!!

You can get the special socket from snap on tools for about $8 then at least you know they are tight, and you dont slip with your screwdriver and damage anything

You can get the special socket from snap on tools for about $8 then at least you know they are tight, and you dont slip with your screwdriver and damage anything

a lot of privacy walls in rest rooms have those type screws in them.

-
Back