Removing undercoating from gas tank??

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Anybody got any ideas on how to remove factory undercoating from the gas tank on my 68 notch back?? Seems like laquer thinner doesn't even touch it and can't say that I really want to try using heat on a gas tank:help:

Thanks

Hey Guys

Anybody got any ideas on how to remove factory undercoating from the gas tank on my 68 notch back?? Seems like laquer thinner doesn't even touch it and can't say that I really want to try using heat on a gas tank:help:

Thanks

Try this (see pic), little area first. Let it soak for 15 min & wet it again. Putty knife. If not you can try Kero. You could heat a little with a heat gun.
Good Luck!8)

8.jpg

Is that the thick black crud that is on the back of the engine bay....I want to paint next year when the engine comes out and I was wondering what to do..thanx..

ian.

Fill it full of water and take your propane torch or heat gun and putty knife to it.Dump it out,swish some methyl hydrate (alcohol) around a couple times and you're good to go.No explosive issues.No water left over.I know your post is 3 mos.old and you've probably spent some bucks on a new tank by now but somebody else might be able to use this info.
If you can,sneak it down to your local carwash first and pressure-wash the heck out of it .(put it in the box of your pick-up and pretend you're cleaning the truck box?)Probably won't work in CA but still works in some parts of Canada.
Hope I've helped in some way.
Cheers,

-
Back