removing upper arms / spindles

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
Rumor has it that the local pull a part has received a
Aspen ( F body?) and a Cordoba either a J or a B,

going to look at it for disk brakes to put on this 68.
believe I will need the upper arms, spindles, calipers and caliper mounts,,may get the master cylinder, brake booster, proportioning valve if they look good.

what should I throw in the tool box? Other than a selection of large sockets, a breaker bar, allens for the caliper bolts,, any thing else?
Do I need to loosen the torsion bars?

thanks

You can leave the calipers, rotors, and spindles, all together. You will need end wrenches for the upper arm bolts since sockets dont go there easily.
If you'll loosen the nut on the upper ball joint and split it from the spindle the torsion bar tension can be your helper. Then back the balljoint nut the rest of the way off and let the spindle drop, relieving any remaining tension.
Back in about 1982 I went to a gold Duster resting upside down in a field and removed the front disc parts. I didn't have any sockets. I did have end wrenches, length of pipe for cheater bar, diagonal pliers, pickle fork, and a big hammer, gloves and safety glasses.
My length of 1.5 inch black pipe ( I call it my brother ) is hammered to oval on 1 end so it fits over the open end of my combination end wrenches. Have fun.

I know the UC arms on the B-body Cordoba are different than an A-body. I am unsure if the F-body or J-body Cordoba are the same as the A-body.

Chuck

I know the f-bodies use a totally different upper control arm and ball joint. And I'm pretty sure about the J-bodies too.. So just the spindles and brakes will work. Like others have said... It is easier to just take the whole assembly off as one unit. A pickle fork too.. or you will never get the tie-rods and ball joints apart. Pliers for the cotter pin and a med. flat screwdriver will come in handy too.

-
Back