Removing window trim permanently

-

1973dartswinger

Reaction score
Hey. Been searching for a couple days and haven’t come up with any results. I have a 1973 dart swinger originally a vinyl top car. I’ve gotten rid of the vinyl top and I’m looking to take out the front and rear glass to clean everything up since some fragments of the top are still in there and I see a little bit of rust. What I’m wondering though is when I put the windshield and the rear glass back in, do they make a new window gasket that will get rid of the stainless trim so I no long need it? I’d love to be able to get rid of it completely.
Thanks
Mike.

I would check with a local glass company.
They might be able to set the glass in like modern cars.

Typically there are new seals available whether the trim is needed or not I Don't know

I would check with a local glass company.
They might be able to set the glass in like modern cars.

Typically there are new seals available whether the trim is needed or not I Don't know
Good idea I’ll have to see whose around locally maybe there’s still a small shop around used to these older cars

You won’t be able to glue it in like a modern car without major modifications. It’s a cool mod for sure. You can just leave the stainless trim off without any sealing issues.

You won’t be able to glue it in like a modern car without major modifications. It’s a cool mod for sure. You can just leave the stainless trim off without any sealing issues.
I was afraid of water and grime build up with no trim.

Isn't the windshield opening the same from 67-76?

Could use a 67 barracuda gasket if that is the case.

Not sure though.

I was also thinking that perhaps a different year or model didn’t have trim that I didn’t know about. But no luck yet

67 NEEDS the moulding to seal. Later years, not so much.
Ya, so if the OP removed the trim clips and used the 67 gasket, maybe the interlocking thing-a-ma-do-bopper could get a black out treatment (maybe as easy as 1,2,3?)

Done?

#spitballen

Ya, so if the OP removed the trim clips and used the 67 gasket, maybe the interlocking thing-a-ma-do-bopper could get a black out treatment (maybe as easy as 1,2,3?)

Done?

#spitballen
Good idea if you can find a black interlocking thingamado.

Ya, You'd have to remove the shiny part. Pending on level of build. Might be just a foil inlay and one razor blade away from being extinct.

I think this is some of that 67 stuff.

I guess it would need some scuff and SEM treatment.

20230909_084151.jpg

might as well just anodize the stuff you have to a cool looking black chrome look after all that.

There has to be a gasket that crosses over.

169427454049122520505.jpg

BUT.........If you use the 67 gasket and locking strip, you could cut off the top shiny part and just push in the bottom. omit the pesky corner peices altogether and with the help of blue tape and urethane caulk, a guy could make it look decent. Again, pending on level of build. Just sayin, I have been guilty of worse.

Not sure if I ever heard of a black interlocking thinger ma bobber .
Build is a driver car definitely not concourse and definitely not stock. It’s going through an identity crises with Chevy brakes and ford rear. I’d be lying if I said Some blue tape and black silicone type sealer product and sharp caulking skills hasn’t crossed my mind.

I assume you're going to repaint after removing the rust and filling the clip holes. If so, just get a new gasket and leave the moldings and clips off. There will be a slight gap between the molding and the body, but, not too bad. Add some body filler to the frame while everything is out if that gap bothers you. Stick the new gasket by itself into the frame to see what the gap is like. Fill as you desire.

I assume you're going to repaint after removing the rust and filling the clip holes. If so, just get a new gasket and leave the moldings and clips off. There will be a slight gap between the molding and the body, but, not too bad. Add some body filler to the frame while everything is out if that gap bothers you. Stick the new gasket by itself into the frame to see what the gap is like. Fill as you desire.
Yup not painting the complete car now only have enough money for they mechanical half of it but going to clean up the rust pull the windows and see how it looks. I have a feeling I might have some pin holes. I’m going to dig a little deeper and clean it up a little better to see what I’m working with

Not totally off topic but when filling those pin holes would you body gurus recommend that product "All Metal"?

Not tryin to hijack......just add to the flavor.

-
Back