Removing Windows from Doors

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the proper way to to remove the door glass frame and windows out of the front doors??? What is the plastic material that covers the edge of the window where it slides and is attached to the window? Is it available new? It is a U shaped part.

Not sure if your windows are the same as the ones on my Duster, but the strip on the top of the window (behind the door panels) will need to be removed. There are I think 3 or 4 7/16th bolts holding this strip down. Also you will need to remove the bolt that holds the piston in place so you can get the window out of the door. On the window itself there should be some 7/16th nuts that will need to be removed. I had to use the handle and guide the window up and down (make sure you hold the window while you remove these screws) and there are a couple of metal and plastic braces that are located at the bottom of the window. it helps to have a swivel socket to reach these bolts. once you remove all of this you should be able to easily and slowly guide the window out of the door. You may have to start by removing the front section first and kind of maneuver the window up and out. Be careful and take your time do not force the window out. you should find that it is an easy process once you remove it.Those U shaped brackets on the windows are there to help the window stay tight when it is rolled up. Hope this helps!!

Darts have wing windows in them and makes it more difficult. Thanks for the response.

Im trying to do the same thing jeff with a couple of 67-9 cuda doors I have. I even have a manual and it is a pita!! Sorry I cant help, if you want pm me your addy and I can take pics of the service manual if you think it will help??

Jeff, if memory serves you have to drop the door glass-- first-- loosen all the guts, let it slide to the bottom of the door, then angle the vent window back & out, pull it up through the top of the door frame.
Take pictures so you know how to replace--
I also have a 69 manual if you need anything copied, Lawrence

if its a dart ,the vent and roll up window have to come out together.

just removed 2

It is possible to lift the vent windows couple inches, separate the top of its frame and change out the forward glass guide parts. I wont recommend this procedure for if the car door should close while the vent window assembly is out of position ( lifted ) serious damage can result.

The forward glass guide kit contains the U shaped felt covered plastic channel covering the glass edge and 4 nylon guides.
Year One offers nice reproductions.
There is a plastic fastener through the glass at regulator.
It is old/brittle and often break. I've had better luck pushing the center pin on through. That fastener has recently been reproduced . Hope this helps.

if its a dart ,the vent and roll up window have to come out together.

just removed 2

How or where did you get that part that sits on the stud on the bottom of the door to fit thru? Did you pull it up and turn the assembly?

Jeff, did you ever come to a solution?

i now have 1 -- I sold a spare 69 door---
the vent window has a screww at the top-- inside the track-- remove the screw---- the gasket hood will spread--- slide out your glass,I broke the rear guide-- trying to remove it from the glass-- by the way.

PITA,,it will help in re-assembly though the knowledge just gained, Lawrence

Remove the nut on front side of door near the top toward the front of car, this holds the quarter glass frame, then there is a screw on the top of the quarter glass, window channel side, unscrew it. Then just tilt the top frame of the quater glass back and slide window up. This is of coarse after you unhook window from the track, works better with 2 people

Remove the nut on front side of door near the top toward the front of car, this holds the quarter glass frame, then there is a screw on the top of the quarter glass, window channel side, unscrew it. Then just tilt the top frame of the quater glass back and slide window up. This is of coarse after you unhook window from the track, works better with 2 people

Yes two people. Side windows aren't too bad , There is a roller bracket that the regulator arm roller sets in. The felt stuff in the window channel you can get at any auto glass shop pretty cheap. !/4 windows are a ***** at least on the Darts,

-
Back