Removing Wiring Corrosion Help

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
Well, my wiring is going, but i'm not quite ready to rewire my car yet, looking for ways to clean the wires, bulkhead connector, fusebox. I've heard using vinegar and CocaCola work, but i want to hear your opinions, and if there are any good products out there. Thanks guys!

LOL Eric, not exactly a fun topic.

I'm thinking you are talking connectors only, and not circuit board. They are no fun, and I don't know of any easy way to clean them, aside from scrubbing.
Although Baking Soda and vinegar does wonders on alot of things, I haven't tried it on this. Make sure you rinse it really good.

Best of luck!
Trying to keep your thread on top, hoping you get a better answer.

Later,
Giles

I've used brakleen spray and/or WD-40 and a toothbrush, and compressed air on harness connecters. Some dilectric grease will keep them from coroding again.

Baking soda and water. Dip the corroded part in and watch it fizzle the corrosion away. :)

If you mix baking soda and vinegar you'll get nothing but a huge foamy reaction, BEWARE.

Laquer thinner for tape/oil residue on wires.
Backing soda and water, blow dry and wire brush or emory cloth for connectors followed by dielectric grease.

Use the correct non-adhesive tape to rewrap harness.

When my Dart was painted back in the late 80s, they fogged yellow on the top of the inner fenders and firewall. Guess who got to clean it all up ??

I think i'll try the baking soda and water thing this week, and see how it works. I've also got a short somewhere, the side marker lights come on with the key, and the blinkers don't work, hopefully should be an easy fix. I do have the correct non adhesive tape, man do i love that stuff!

-
Back