Repainting

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to repaint the upper and lower part of the interior side of my doors. Do I just scuff and paint..? Or do I wet sand and paint..? Primer over scuffed paint..?
This is 2k rattle can paint I'm going over...with the same 2k paint.
Any advice would be appreciated..
Thanks..!
John

20231206_165214.jpg

Always follow the manufactures recommendations. I don't know if you're going to get a whole lot of details from them on rattle can paint though. Priming first is a must.

Are you repainting it black? I'd probably wet sand with 600 to ensure I'm not getting sand scratches.

Always follow the manufactures recommendations. I don't know if you're going to get a whole lot of details from them on rattle can paint though. Priming first is a must.

Are you repainting it black? I'd probably wet sand with 600 to ensure I'm not getting sand scratches.
I ended up taking it all down to metal.

Scuff and paint. I just repainted my doors that had SEM brand with the 1K trim paint on a scuff and paint. Turned out perfect.

I hate to disagree with @andysauto1 but if the epoxy is DTM (direct to metal), it doesn't need an etch primer base. Every epoxy I have ever seen was DTM.
True. If you go to Southern polyurethane web site,for example, it will mention do not use their epoxy primer over any etch primer. That concerns their product but just be aware of issues that an always arise with any paint product!

Epoxy primers claim to fame, is their abilty to stick so well to anythng (and sealing ability) but again, pep is always the key.

Just saying etch coat is a good safety net especially if you are using a rattle can epoxy primer, a good epoxy primer is two parts that needs to be mixed and sprayed thru a paint gun

-
Back