repair manual

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anybody know where I can get a repair manual for a 1964 dart that has the 273 in it?

I bought a really nice original 1964 Valiant manual at Carlisle last year for I think $35. Not Bishko but another old timer who specialized in literature.
I'm not sure, I'd have to look, but it's possible the 273 is not included because of the first year intro for a V8 a-body and they were probably printed late summer 1963. It would be in a 65 book for sure.

Last edited:
Well the one that I bought does not have the 273 listed for the dart in 1964.

Well the one that I bought does not have the 273 listed for the dart in 1964.
You are right - I had the same experience. I bought the 64 FSM and it does not list the 273. I believe this is because the 273 came out in the middle of the model year.
I then found an online version of a newer FSM (think it's 65) that someone had posted on line that has the section with the 273. Below is a screen print of the first page of that section. PM me and I'll gladly share it with you.
273-first-page.JPG

Last edited:
Generally when there is a late release they issue a bulletin with the added differences. The 67 Service manual doesn't address the Barracuda as it was a late release, there is a bulletin that covers all the Barracuda specifics. I have most of the 67-69 bulletins and some earlier ones, not sure I go that far back.

Alan

You are right - I had the same experience. I bought the 64 FSM and it does not list the 273. I believe this is because the 273 came out in the middle of the model year.
I then found an online version of a newer FSM (think it's 65) that someone had posted on line that has the section with the 273. Below is a screen print of the first page of that section. PM me and I'll gladly share it with you.View attachment 1715179005

Also I bought a hardcopy set of the 64 master service technicians reference books. Book number 6 covers the V8 valiant and dart 273. It's not as detailed as the 65 fsm 273 engine section, but does supliment the 64 fsm nicely. I found a copy on line you can reference at the link here...
V-8 Valiant and Dart (Session 199) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
along with the accompanying filmstrip at this link...
1964 V8 Valiant and Dart from The Master Technician Service Conference Series (Session 199)

@Claydart , just curious - would your car happen to be a Newark Deleware plant car (4th digit of vin is a 6)?
My 64 GT 273 is a Newark De car, but I've never been able to find any info on that plant code to help decode the tag. I even bought Galen's Chysler Corporation Production Option Code Book 1962-1965 (pic below). For 1964 when decoding a fender tag he has different codes listed for each production plant (I guess meaning each plant used their own codes). Strangely enough all other plants are listed there, but not Newark. I even emailed the author to ask him but got no reply. No one has ever been able to explain this to me. Is it because they built tanks for the military out of that plant and records were sealed, because Bob Marley actually drove a forklift at that plant so everyone was too wasted to keep records, some tie to area 51?????
20180524_212830.jpg

-
Back