repair of original front bucket seat

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
'68 barracuda conv. My driver seat sags to the center of car- before I remove it from car for a closer look, has anyone tried to repair similar condition? maybe a couple broken/worn springs can be replaced? comments appreciated- thanks

I have seen broken springs repaired using a small connector with set screws slipped over the broken ends and the screws then tightened. Not sure where they can be found but would guess at an upholstery shop. IMO that would be a simple fix.
Yote

well there you go - good source to look into I didn't think of - can't imagine trying to get hold of a better used one - these babies are almost 50 yrs old.. thanks for your input. just getting my winter projects on a list...

Lots of time it is just the foam broken down.

There are small wires that are interwoven in the burlap and tied on either end with paper rope under the foam in the originals. They add lots of overall support! You need to disassemble carefully and assess how to repair them. Legendary interiors has some good videos to show you how but never include those supporting wires in them. I could suggest the type that you may find on the side of the road as markers for utilities with little flags. You may need to soften them with some heat first. You may have broken springs and or a cracked frame but until you take the cover and foam off it may be hard to tell.

Last edited:
Some pics of my rework. I was able to salvage the uppers wires but had to improvise for the lowers by using some nylon cording at the ends and aftermarket support wires! All new burlap anyhow. My wife sewed in the uppers just like the originals.

D19011CE-59CA-4454-8F9D-14554D568626.jpeg

9AA266D8-1604-4DEF-BABA-E38C39DF00D0.jpeg

Last edited:
wow - had no idea how involved construction of these is. we'll see what I got going on when I'm ready to finally park it for winter..

Watch the legendary videos and consider what they leave out. Those small wires make a huge difference IMO. The pic of my lower did not include the heavy tie wires for the intersection of the bolster seam. But this is a pic of one on the lower during disassembly.

50431B0E-C5A9-44F9-9C9A-4DF6C248EF85.jpeg

Last edited:
Those connectors would be easy to build, 3/8” rod drilled through for wire size and 2 set screws on each end, drill and tapped.
When drilling for two set screws,90 degrees apart, not 180.

Here is the upper prior to rework. Not bad as the lowers get the most wear.

FA790DE8-5B1A-4B82-9029-FA4A10B8B994.jpeg

-
Back