Repaired and Repainted My '72 Grille

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
When I bought my Dart a little over a year ago, it had a very good condition grille. The plastic itself was in great shape....Until a couple of friends were doing stupid stuff near my car, like ramming one who was sitting on the floor jack into my car. His elbow went RIGHT into that grille and it was no longer perfect. Yelling ensued.

I had mechanical issues to deal with so the cosmetics were put off until now, where it's a fairly reliable daily driver. Drove it around with the grille looking like this for almost a year:

12494822_1407422789320156_8320695431488201359_n.jpg

The black was peeling bad now, with a layer of grime over the already faded paint and not mention that 2" gap!

I finally had enough and removed the grille, which was easier that I though it'd be. Well, easier because some of the brackets behind it were already broken off. O:) Not so perfect!

I used JB Plastic Weld, two-part epoxy for the job. I know a lot of recommendations say use broken parts of a grille and acetone, but I didn't have anything like that laying around. I had saved about 1" of the grille I found on the floor all the this time because it did fit perfectly into one end of the broken part, so that wasn't going to be used as melting fodder. Glued that on and liked how sturdy the bond was. Then came the task of filling that 1" gap.....

I used blue masking tape to kind of make a "pool" area for the weld material. I then filled up that area with the epoxy and let it dry. Peeled away most of the tape and sanded the crap out of the dried epoxy after letting it sit for a couple days. I did not get the most perfect of shapes, but it looks and feels mostly like the rest of the lines until you really put your nose in front of it.

To paint, I used DupliColor's Perfect Match Bright Silver Metallic from their Chrysler colors, Krylon Plastic Paint Satin Black, and then Krylon Plastic Clear Coat in Gloss. I really liked how the DupliColor came out on both the grille and the turn signal bezels, almost matches my Rallye wheels exactly. And of course I could not be happier how cleaner the front end looks now, it really changed the look of the car. No more faded, peeling paint and best of all, no missing tooth! This was my first time doing plastic repair so I like my results. I wish I had more of my pictures during the process but my phone fell out of my pocket while painting outside and the glass cracked so bad I can't unlock it now. :eek:ops:

The aftermath, from my time and about $5 for the Plastic Weld, $35 for the numerous cans of paint:

12985453_1461946477201120_3102244272071221054_n.jpg

12963920_1461946457201122_5923397770866783909_n.jpg

I know lots of posts are out there about fixing grilles, but just wanted to share mine and recommend JB Plastic Weld. Cheap and smelly, but it worked very well to even bridging a pretty significant gap. Sanded very well to get the shape I wanted. The pictures don't do the difference justice; it looks SO much better, even in direct sunlight where previously the grille would show the nasty grime and faded black. Now it is shiny and looks new again!

Nice work! I love how ,you listed the cash expenses. Same situation myself, would rather take extra time,than spend the extra cash.(bodywork)

Nice work! I love how ,you listed the cash expenses. Same situation myself, would rather take extra time,than spend the extra cash.(bodywork)

looks 100% better. I customized a 92 GMC grill, much the same way.

Nice work Dodge72 , I can relate myself to the trouble you went through to make the grill
( not perfect ) but make it acceptable. Working with what we have is hard but with time and motivation it all works out in the end .

The grill looks outstanding.... Nice work

Man gotta say it changes the whole look of the front of your car!! Nice job:glasses7::glasses7:

Very nice!
work like that can be nerve wracking. ...looks well worth it!

Great job! Makes a big difference.
I just did my grille. (Now if I could just get the car done to put it in n) Original had a chunk out and a missing mount tab. Was lucky to get a replacement cheap that only had a few cracks. I used Gorilla epoxy, but like the JB idea for fill in. One other thing I did was spray chrome in the lamp fixtures.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1971189959&postcount=220

Thanks guys. It was definitely worth the effort, I can't stop looking at it! It made such an impact to the look of the car. Should have done it with it way earlier with it being pretty cheap to actually fix the main problem (the gap) but the weather would have been terrible for painting. It actually heated up and the sun shined in Washington for a week so it gave me plenty of time to take care and make sure it's done right. The process isn't too bad when you're also enjoying the sun, some radio, and a cold drink once in a while. :D

Took me about 4 days of cleaning, prep, and paint with a night to figure out how to actually remove it. The most nerve-wracking part was gently fitting the centerpiece back on the car without bending the outer mounting tabs too much (!!) It worked out though.

I had to buy one of each more can to finish up the little touchups and final coats, but it leaves me plenty to fix my taillight lenses. Those are looking a little sad now!

Great job! Makes a big difference.
I just did my grille. (Now if I could just get the car done to put it in n) Original had a chunk out and a missing mount tab. Was lucky to get a replacement cheap that only had a few cracks. I used Gorilla epoxy, but like the JB idea for fill in. One other thing I did was spray chrome in the lamp fixtures.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1971189959&postcount=220

That looks really great! I like the idea of spraying chrome in the light fixtures, didn't think of that. I might have a can of chrome paint in the cabinet if I ever feel the need to do some "brightwork".

Night and day difference. Nice work, that's half the fun of putting these old girls back together. Makes one appreciate it more with a sense of accomplishment.

Wow! That looks great!!

But on a note of the chrome in the tail lights, the "chrome" paint never really turns out chrome... You can go to lowes or Home Depot and get a roll of that shiny aluminum tape and line your light buckets with that, much more shiny

-
Back