Repairing small section of rust on the body

-

krytellan

Reaction score
My F-body is in really good shape, save for the small spot behind the rear driver tire. There are two small rust holes there that I was looking into fixing. Apparently I'm very naive.

I went to a collision place and found they won't even touch rust anymore, only collision. Not only that, most places in my area are the same. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a black market for rust repair? What are my options?

collision shops do not make any money on rust repair. Its all R&R and painting and thats about it. Alot of smaller shops do not want to deal with the customers because rust oftens turns out worse than what it appears on the surface. When the bill comes the customers frind they are in over their heads. In Michigan, there are a lot of hobby restorers so the rust repair work on classic cars is not in big demand for shops.
I would suggest a "night class" at a local tech-school or junior college. Or just get a cheap 110 welder and start practicing.

The funny thing is that I do have a welder, but just not good at using it yet. Got it just before winter hit.

Know of any good resources to find the know-how?

If you were closer I would come give you a hand. Do you have a replacement panel you are using or just making a patch? Either way grind off the paint where you want to replace the panel. Then trim out the rusted area's. Then get your panel to fit, and mark it on the car and trim along that line. Then you can weld either a lap joint or butt weld it. Recess the welds and grind, then do your filler work.

you could probably get your car into a career center where the students work on your car (under the guidance of a teacher who is a certified).

doing it this way you may be able to get it done for free or at a discount compared to what you might pay elsewhere.

its an option anyhow.

I myself would do the work on my own but thats only because I trust myself to tackle such a job.

there are different ways of doing the job, the right way and the wrong way. If you don't "care" about how long the repair lasts or if you have plans of selling it....then you could of course do the "hack job" by putting duct tape on the back side of the panel or something and just smearing bondo over the rusty area and call it good.

but as I said...that is NOT the right way lol.

I had a pile of crap 86 mustang years ago that was rusted out and a friend of mine wanted it but only if it "LOOKED" better....key word is "LOOK" LOL.

so needless to say....I filled the holes with wadded up autotrader magazines and expando foam ,screwed window screen over the hole thing and bondoed the crap out of it and spray painted it. LOL.

I don't make a habbit out of working that way but my friend did not care how it was done or how long it would last,just as long as it LOOKED normal.

and I figured....why not....it was just a ford lol

The funny thing is that I do have a welder, but just not good at using it yet. Got it just before winter hit.

Know of any good resources to find the know-how?

this DVD helped me out immensely... http://www.weldingvideos.com/gmaw.html Youtube vids helped a lot too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ognlcIZ9U5Y"]YouTube - Welding Techniques [S4 Ep.5-3][/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsDxqb2p5OM&feature=related"]YouTube - Mig Welding Automotive Sheet metal from How to ASAP[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

"you could probably get your car into a career center where the students work on your car (under the guidance of a teacher who is a certified).

doing it this way you may be able to get it done for free or at a discount compared to what you might pay elsewhere.

its an option anyhow."

Thats a great idea, Dude!

you could probably get your car into a career center where the students work on your car (under the guidance of a teacher who is a certified).

This is a great idea. My wife actually mentioned that last night. Considering where I live, if the programs exist, there are probably 15 nearby! Time to start calling around.

cool, glad I was able to put my .02 in on it. Hope you find a place willing to take it on.

good luck

yea, fist hand knowledge is, even when you have a tiny pinhole rust spot, by the time you are done, it windes up being a 12"x12" inch patch. it is a pain in the arse

-
Back