Replaced Master Cylinder (Brake lights stuck on)

-

Otateral

Reaction score
This is my first time doing this, so I followed instructions precisely, or so I thought.

Took the rod off the pedal & took lines off the cylinder. Removed the master cylinder. Filled the new master cylinder halfway with brake fluid, bled the new master cylinder by pressing a dowel an inch in, then slowly pulling out until bubbles stopped showing up.

Installed the new master cylinder on the firewall, attached the brake lines. (Note: I noticed bubbles showing up in the master cylinder while screwing in the lines, that normal?) I then attached the pedal back to the rod.

I then bled all 4 wheels (RR, RL, FR, FL)

I reused the same rod, so the length shouldn't be a problem. But now, here's the problem:

The brake pedal is now a bit lower than it was, which is causing the brake light to constantly be engaged. What could cause this?

bad or missing spring inside the mc? you shouldnt have to pull the dowel out, the mc is spring loaded

It's spring loaded, for sure. The instructions said to press a wooden dowel in, then slowly release to bleed the master cylinder.

the brake light switch is adjustable with a 7/16ths wrench...move it closer to the brake pedal

When I did this on my 2 A's recently, I took the opportunity to remove the entire pedal assembly, de-rust and repaint. It appears the factory didn't even paint the pedal bracket, which could be scary in the rusty north. Anway, the switch adjustment then is obvious.

-
Back