Replacement 904

-
Reaction score
I'm building (having it built) my original 68 barracuda 318 and am looking for a replacement transmission for my warn out 904. I've looked at Performance and like their lifetime warranty, also Hughes, but hard to find a dealer that carries 904's and of course the popular (not on this site) TCI. Although I've worked in a body shop for 31 years as a painter, am really only a nuts and bolts mechanic and not a trouble shooter so don't feel capable of rebuilding my own.
Although money IS an object, I want to do this once and forget it!
Any suggestions?

I mean take it to a local rebuilder and save some $.
Yeah, that's an option. 904's are getting rarer. Easy to find a parts changer, harder to find a knowledgeable rebuilder. Thought it might be easier to buy one from somebody who's already worked the bugs out through trial and error.

Never taken a transmission apart
Same here but, watched the videos recommended from here. There is probably a how to thread. Forty-five minutes to tear down and I think 3-4 hours reassembly. One issue, bad governor which I swapped it out in the car. Zero issues and I think cost me about $250 in parts.

Same here but, watched the videos recommended from here. There is probably a how to thread. Forty-five minutes to tear down and I think 3-4 hours reassembly. One issue, bad governor which I swapped it out in the car. Zero issues and I think cost me about $250 in parts.
Ok you've convinced me to at least look into it

I've had 3 904 rebuilt locally, one for 400hp 360 which I took to strip on occasion. They held up fine, find someone reputable locally and you should be good.

I have a fully built 904 with CRT parts with only 1000 street miles. Built to handle power and even a dynamic converter too

-
Back