Replacement alternator

-

Kikowillers

Reaction score
Hi again!

I'm also looking for a replacement alternator and voltage regulator. Can somebody let me know what I can use to replace this one? The more painless, the better.

Thanks fellas!

Attachments

• image-1894746107.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 171
  • image-3549228046.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3511471174.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image-3170387107.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 172
Yeeeiiiikkkkes!!! Does that all look "factory?" You know, "it all fits," the wiring doesn't looked hacked up?

If so, obvious that there's a lot of difference between "your" cars and "ours."

Really, if you cannot get what came off, you can adapt anything that you can physically mount. I know that seems too easy, but not sure what's readily available "down there."

Some of the stuff available may have internal regulators, and you can deal with that too.

Look for something out of a '90s Japanese car with v-belts.
These are mostly internally regulated and have 2 simple wires and 1 thicker gauge chargewire.

So it is a south american small block car now transported to the land down under? What are your skills and what parts are commonly available. It might be possible to just rebuild your original alternator unless you are needing more output.

Hi all,

Yea it's a Brazilian Dart I brought to Australia. And the wiring is all original, there's no hacking at all.

I can get any parts that are available in the USA, so that's not an issue.

Any ideas of a setup that would charge well at low rpm? That's the biggest issue I have with the current alternator.

Cheers!

That looks like a powerful alternator, with a real thick output cable. How do you know it charges poorly at low rpm? Have you measured the current output with a clamp-on DC current probe or an in-line ammeter? The field connector looks similar to the alternators on my M-B 300D's. Those have an internal Vreg module. Seems like I have seen similar connectors in other posts about "best alternator to use", maybe from modern VW's.

I've got a Ford '3G' alternator from a '90s Thunderbird in my Dart. It still charges with 13.1v at 500rpm with headlights on and maintains 14.4v at all RPMs above that.

Bracket-redesign is necessary with this model alternator, but just about any modern alternator has better charging characteristics then those 30 year old ones.
Just don't get a 'too new' alternator which have computer controlled charging.

-
Back