Replacement seat upholstery

-
Reaction score
I need replacement front seat upholstery for a '72 Demon and was a bit shocked at the price of PUI on Year One. Is there a better source for a quality cover with a wallet friendly price ?

Also need a package tray all this in Black.

I need replacement front seat upholstery for a '72 Demon and was a bit shocked at the price of PUI on Year One. Is there a better source for a quality cover with a wallet friendly price ?

Also need a package tray all this in Black.

I am doing my own...after being disgusted in the prices.....I found a seat just like my 72 Darts and have carefully removed upholstery....have used a seam ripper to make into separate pieces....laid out on new material and cut out patterns and will be stitching back together...I have no experience in it but am confident it will go together pretty easily...I do have a friend who has done it and his look great...and only about 75 bucks in materials...

Legendary auto interiors

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/home.aspx

If you want something that is going to last the duration you will have to pay out the money. If want something just get the car sold then you can start looking else where.

My boss has done upholstery work for a long time. He said that in the upholstery world basically there is two categories of seat material... the good quality material.... and the cheap crap. To buy the good material (thickness in mills, the foam backing, etc) you spend over $200. Another thing to consider is how old the material is BEFORE being cut for patterns.

He has been down this round many times with customers. He has the ability to make anything you want but places like Legendary has the covers already sewed together.

Not long ago my boss got a call from a guy wanting is camaro seats covered. The boss gave him a price (materials,labor) and the guy didn't want to spend that kind of money. So my boss told him about Legendary and the guy didn't want to spend that kind of money either. Well later on the guy gave my boss a call and told him he had got seat covers (the cheap material crap) for this amount and got them installed for this amount. Boss said that's good they will last about two years. The guy said we'll see. My boss saw him at a car show and the guy told my boss he was right.

So it's better to get off the wallet now, pay for good materials and craftmanship for something that will last or spend a little money now, then spend some more down the road again.

I'm in the process of doing my interior for my 67 cuda here shortly. I am going to purchase from Legendary. The amount is going to be $510 and that does not include labor for installing the covers. I will install them myself however.

Hope you find what you want and good luck.

The current owner "inherited" this mess in an expensive, failed, business deal and will get a small fraction of what he had to spend. He just wants it to look nice to sell.

A friend of mine who installed my Legendary covers, is a dealer for them. He does all out custom interiors but the oem stuff he gets from Legendary. Save up. it's worth the extra coin. toolmanmike http://www.bossinteriors.com/#home (looks like Joel has been working on his new website. Check out the shot of the back seat area with the drivers seat tipped forward. The round/ red colored accents are rattlesnake. He did a overhead console with the same snake trim and also the trunk panel too. That coupe went on display at the SEMA show.)

A friend of mine who installed my Legendary covers, is a dealer for them. He does all out custom interiors but the oem stuff he gets from Legendary. Save up. it's worth the extra coin. toolmanmike http://www.bossinteriors.com/#home (looks like Joel has been working on his new website. Check out the shot of the back seat area with the drivers seat tipped forward. The round/ red colored accents are rattlesnake. He did a overhead console with the same snake trim and also the trunk panel too. That coupe went on display at the SEMA show.)

Price for the cover on Legendary's site is $319...... less than the PUI at Year One.......big surprise.
Does this friend sell at a "discount" from list price ? He might go for the cover and have it installed.

Drop Joel a e-mail through his website and ask. Tell him Mike the Mac man sent you.

Price for the cover on Legendary's site is $319...... less than the PUI at Year One.......big surprise.
Does this friend sell at a "discount" from list price ? He might go for the cover and have it installed.

Yeah that's what happen to the guy with camaro I was speaking about. I know its hard sometimes to come up with the money up front and get the good interior but in the long run its actually saves. I have installed Legendary seat covers in a 68 Charger I once had and can tell you that I'm sold on their quality. It seemed like every show someone would ask me who did my interior. lol

Yeah that's what happen to the guy with camaro I was speaking about. I know its hard sometimes to come up with the money up front and get the good interior but in the long run its actually saves. I have installed Legendary seat covers in a 68 Charger I once had and can tell you that I'm sold on their quality. It seemed like every show someone would ask me who did my interior. lol

Yep mullinax!

Attachments

• 100_4678.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_4679.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_4680.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 313
i am in the upholsterys business, some PUI seat kits fits ok , thier door panels are actually pretty nice. i have been told they also make interiors for other vendors, legandary may be one of them, most all legendary stuff fits great, if this guy just wants to resell the car, buy whats cheapest, if he is going to keep the car, buy it through legendary, the small investment will be worth it in the end. it surprises me howmany people think seat covers should be cheap. there are over 250 individual pieces that go into a typical seat cover kit. that dart interior looks great.

I've tried cheap interiors and got what I paid for. The seats fell apart after 2 years. I now use Legendary for all 3 cars with great success. As others have said here, you pay now or pay later!

Legendary covers and door panels....cant beat em!

Attachments

• DSCN0163.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0159.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN0160.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN0158.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 290
Legendary was my choice 5 hr job by yourself at least it was for me but the quality is hard to beat.

Attachments

• adam music concert 002.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 255
Legendary for me too.

I give them a Triple AAA

Attachments

• DSCF2968.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF2570.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF2945.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 210
My Legendary seat skins have been in the car 5 years this month. Still look new.

Legendary be damned, I made my own. Haha! There is a great upholstery shop in Ypsilanti, MI that has fabric and thread that they buy leftover from the Big Three. So it is very good quality stuff, and not very expensive either. I did the entire interior in my Duster with vinyl, foam, and thread for $75 bucks. That was 9 years ago and it still looks new, so yeah, you can have a a good interior for cheap and still have it last.

Here's the back seat I made for my husband's Challenger last year, I just finished both buckets too. All done on a Sears Kenmore non-industrial machine:

11se6-1.jpg

Here's a bucket cover I just finished:

challengerseatrecoveringdone003-1.jpg

Those look great. You're a talented gal. toolman

Thanks...I didn't do it all though. I ran the machine, my husband ripped apart the seats and made the patterns and pinned it all together. He just can't sew a straight line. LOL.

-
Back