Replacing 6 cyl motor mounts 69 Valiant

-

BAN

Reaction score
G'day guys,

A little help would be awesome.
My mates 69 Valiant slant 6 is in desperate need of new engine mounts. He has the mounts and i had a quick look at it tonight but it was dark.

When you guys replace (ill be changing both motor and tranny mounts) whats the best way to get at the passenger side mount? as the driver side is fairly easy to get to. I have a lift and was thinking about just hoising the whole motor up, but without looking under there, till the weekend. Wanted to just get prepared for anything, is it easier to just hoise the whole engine up and replace both , or do you guys do it one side at a time?

Thanks for all your help, im a die hard Pontiac guy, but this little Val of my mates has really changed my tune of late, i love the thing!

Cheers
Sam!

It's easier to do one side at a time, starting with the (US) driver's side. Remove the nuts from the insulator studs and jack up the engine until you can slide the old one out and the new one in. Drop the jack and replace the nuts. The passenger side works easier if you take the insulator nut off the bottom and unbolt the bracket from the block. Jack that side up and replace the bracket and insulator as a unit. Remove the nut from the tranny insulator stud, jack the tranny up enough to support the weight, remove the crossmember, and you can get to the insulator bolts real easy. Altogether a pretty simple job and it does go easier with a lift. You just need taller jacks for maneuvering. Hope this helps.

Grumps got it nailed on the head...For you southern boys in OZ its even harder to do the leaning tower of power with the steering on the WRONG side.LOL:hello2:
Have fun with it and if you get stuck.....well sorry.
Frank

Awesome thanks guys!
I am Australian, but i have been living in the US for the last few years. I love it here, never want to go back! Amazing country, not to mention the ease of getting parts!!

Anyways, so yeah theres no hack steering jobs here (thank god, ive dealt with many badly converted US Muscle cars). I'll give it a shot on Saturday, thanks for the advice! I'll try to take some pics as i know you forum guys love them so much!

Thanks again!
Sam.

sorry abut the typo in the earlier post, I meant HOIST not Hoise...to many beers last night i guess ha ha.

WoW, never thought about a right hand drive 225, all that stuff on the right hand side must make doing that a pain.

-
Back