Replacing '71 vapor canister to gas tank lines

-

Motoblag

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the four hoses going from the gas tank's four vent lines to the evap/vapor canister in the trunk. There's a piece of metal on the chassis, probably to protect the lines from road debris, but I can't figure out how to get that out of the way. Don't see any bolts sticking out from the undercoating.

The existing clamps and that piece of metal make it almost impossible to get the old hoses off to replace with new ones. I've tried removing the canister pulling up through the trunk, but can't figure out how to get the hard line that runs to the front of the car off the canister.

Any tips on this? The manuals I have mention the canister but nothing about removing it or replacing hoses.

End goal is to get the evap system working again with a charcoal canister up front.

Are you referring to this clamp?

MP-HC3-1-1.jpg

I managed to slide that one off just fine. Referring to the clamps on the lines on the bottom of the canister. You can see one here at the end of the old line I cut off:

VcIqm6yl.jpg

As things look now:

TllqqIFl.jpg

The piece of metal blocking access to the hose clamps. Taken lying next to the driver's side rear wheel. You can see the hard line exiting at the bottom left of the photo:

oDhuMOBl.jpg

Managed to pull the cover out of the way enough to get in there with some pliers and mangle the old hose clamps off. 340wedge I think the clamp style you have pictured is what I was talking about. I thought you meant the clamp that holds the canister upright.

rIJiYrul.jpg

Mangled remnants of clamps:

GJnP3xWl.jpg

I'll be replacing them with worm gear hose clamps. Just got my new evap/fuel lines from the parts store, trim to fit and reinstall the canister with a new gasket.

-
Back