Replacing a 273 motor for a 5.9 360 Motor Question

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
I would like to know what type of problems i will have if replacing a 273 motor for a 5.9 360 motor. The person I am getting the motor from says it a complete motor. Will the motor mounts match up, with the headers mount up, with the bell housing match up. Or what else am i looking at to replace the old tired 273 motor...

Thanks

Need more info...year of 360?car/truck engine?You,ll need new mounts,check water pump outlet side(drivers or pass.side?)Your bellhousing should bolt up without issues.You will have to change convertor to external balanced also or just a B&M flexplate.I,m not too familiar with the 273 manifolds.Good luck.

I would like to know what type of problems i will have if replacing a 273 motor for a 5.9 360 motor. The person I am getting the motor from says it a complete motor. Will the motor mounts match up, with the headers mount up, with the bell housing match up. Or what else am i looking at to replace the old tired 273 motor...

Thanks

is it a LA 360 or Magnum 360?

What transmission?

Driver side motor mounts are different from 273 to 360...the 273 mount can be used but needs to be shimmed with washers...as it is wider then the 360...and if it s from a truck...as noted above the oil pan and pickup tube will need to be changed from a rear sump to a center sump pan...

headers will from the 273 will fit the 360...

I will be talking to the guy on Monday seeing this is the Holiday weekend.

I will repost the asnwers soon.

5.9/360 CI MOPAR MOTOR .030 OVER 9:1 HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS LUNATI CAM .484 LIFT/230 DUR@ .050 292 ADVERTISED
PROFORM ROLLER ROCKER AEROHEAD PREPPED HEADS WITH 2.02 INT 1.60 EXH VALVES CRANE DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN EDELBROCK PERFOMER RPM INTAKE HOLLY AVENGER 675 DUAL FEED CARB MSD 6A IGNITION W/ MSD COIL MSD BILLIT DISTRIBUTOR W/ CAP AND 8mm WIRES STARTER AND HEADERS INCLUDED...
Do it sounds like a desent build.....
Just wondering

Budget motor .What is he asking? Parts are fair,that cam I know in Chevies.You might need a small stall converter.It will be lopey at idle.Power in the 360 to 380 range.About a 2400 to 2800 stall,and 3.55s at minimum.Parts are decently matched,you will ask about tuning here.

Budget motor .What is he asking? Parts are fair,that cam I know in Chevies.You might need a small stall converter.It will be lopey at idle.Power in the 360 to 380 range.About a 2400 to 2800 stall,and 3.55s at minimum.Parts are decently matched,you will ask about tuning here.

I curently have a 4 speed tansmission. What is ment by i will ask about tuning here.... What does this mean.... $ 2500.00 Price.

Price pretty good.Didn't see what trans you had.Have you done any tuning?(timing ,jetting,all the small things that make it nice).I do not know.But you are asking all of the right questions.

Price pretty good.Didn't see what trans you had.Have you done any tuning?(timing ,jetting,all the small things that make it nice).I do not know.But you are asking all of the right questions.
I have the day off on Monday, going to go over and look it over one more time. I am not sure of what is ment by external ballanced, I have read up on it but not sure if any extra parts will be needed except for a differnet motor mount. I am also going to order a new engine tie down strap from summit. What yea think....

All 360s are externally balanced.This means the balancer and flexplate have application specific weights.You will need a 360 flywheel.You run your 273 flywheel,you will get bad vibrations and kill your new motor with time.A tie strap from Summit(or a peice of hardware store chain) would be a excellent idea.Your car will scoot with that engine.

All 360s are externally balanced.This means the balancer and flexplate have application specific weights.You will need a 360 flywheel.You run your 273 flywheel,you will get bad vibrations and kill your new motor with time.A tie strap from Summit(or a peice of hardware store chain) would be a excellent idea.Your car will scoot with that engine.
So if the guy tells me that the car come with a fly wheel can i use that one, thanks for your support. I am so excited that i cant wait till this is all done. Here is a picture of my duster...

Attachments

• Duster-Duster.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 220
If the new motor does not come with a 360 lywhell , where would a good place be to start looking for a desent one by at. Looks pretty pricey for a new one... Thanks

Looking for a used good mopar 360 Flywheel not sure what to ask for.... Are they all the same size. Please let me know.....

double check the back of the crank for a pilot hole, going from memory but if i remember right chrysler didnt drill out all the cranks for manuals if it was going into an automatic car....but again just from memory...

Since the engine was rebuilt, maybe you can ask him if it was internally balanced, or what flex plate and convertor he used with it... If it's internal, any nuetral 10.5" flywheel can be used. If it's external, and needed either the B&M flexplate, or a weighted convertor, you need the 360 flywheel, or the template to have a nuetral one drilled to work with the 360. Also, if this is a later 360 (as in a 5.9L LA) the crank may not be drilled or finish reamed for the pilot bushing. So there may also be some minor issues to address there as well.

You DO NOT want the 360 flywheel if it's Magnum motor. If it's not a Magnum motor, I'll sell you mine. 400 miles on it, in great shape. I bought it new from MP.

If it's a Magnum, you want the Mopar Perforamance 5.9 flywheel for these swaps. The balance holes are similar in location but NOT in size to the 360! Search the MP catalog...the 5.9 Magnum is NOT a 360!

Please clarify year before you buy a 'wheel.

-
Back