Replacing a Single Valve

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Long story short I bent an intake valve while hand-jamming hardware I dropped in there. I have a spare valve and it seems to fit well. I put blue dye on the seat and it seats nicely all the way around. There’s only 10 hours on the head before the valve bent. Do I still need to run this down to the machine shop or can I simply swap this out?

check the valve tip height with a straight edge if they are very close just put the new one in.

Mic the old and new stem diameters just to make sure the stem-to-guide clearance is not getting effected.

As others have said, there is more to consider than just the seat and/or lapping it in. If you don't have the ability to check the guide clearance and tip height accurately, just let the machine shop do it.

You can feel if the valve is too tight in the guide, if it slides real nice and you can't feel any play you are good to go. The height should be right on if both valves are new everything should be the same.

Wasn't this where the "Blue Printing a Motor" stuff started? Everything was checked, measured and recorded. Then if something went bad, a replacement was checked, measured and placed in to service. (This is just and observation/question. I realize no mention of blue print was used by the OP)

Tolerance is .030" on height of the valve stem.

-
Back