Replacing column shift lever

-

Robj

Reaction score
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this.

I found a column shift lever from our local Pick n Pull that's much nicer than the one I have on my Dart. I've gotten the column apart down to the lock plate. How are people removing the roll pin on the lock place. I don't want to start pounding on it. Of course the manual calls for "steering shaft to lock plate pin tool #C-4113".

I wanted to see how others are getting that pin out without a drift and a hammer. I remember once seeing a tool like a c-clamp with a pin on one side and a V cut out of the receiving side but I think the shaft would be in the way for a tool like that.
Any help is appreciated.

On a side note, earlier this evening I couldn't get the bearing to release from the shaft so I made a home version of the "steering shaft removing tool #C-4044" with a regular gear puller and plumbers tape.

Here's my method of removing the bearing housing. Note the red wire insulation worn through. It runs to the flasher - nice to find on the off chance and get it repaired.

View attachment DSC_0563em.jpg View attachment DSC_0566em.jpg

undue the phillip screws that hold that collar to the column and that assembly will come apart...and you can remove the bearing with your fingers..

just did a column yesterday....removed the automatic shift column and installed a manual trans collar...

I've got the bearing and it's housing off. I need to remove the lock plate now and was looking for other methods than a hammer and a punch. I guess I can support the end of the shaft to the floor with a 2x4 cut to length but would rather not pound on it.

I have the pin retaining collar off (red arrow) but need to remove the roll pin (black arrow).

View attachment lock.jpg

I've driven them out. It shouldn't take much effort with the correct size punch. Supporting it is a good idea. I'd more concerned if you were pounding on it lengthwise - which could damage it.

air grinder with cut off wheel worked pretty good a couple of days ago...only took a minute or two

-
Back