Replacing converter, what else to check

-

Jeffsrt

6.33 in the 1/8th
Reaction score
I am changing converters as the one I was running finally went out. I have drained the fluid which looks fine in color, with no shavings in it. Could the front pump be damaged without changing the look of the fluid?

Make sure to put at least a quart of ATF in the converter before you put in in. Also when dropping it in you will want to feel 2 points of drop as you are pushing it in, you may have to rotate it to get it to drop twice. If not you will damage the pump.

What makes you think your converter went out? I ask because that's a very rare occurrence. How did you drain the fluid? Drop the pan or just pull the drain plug?

Something I always do when replacing the converter is replace the front pump seal. Lube it good with light grease.

EDIT: If the front pump was damaged it'd have shavings in the fluid.

The car would not do a burn out, but trans fluid looked ok and tranny shifted fine. Sent the converter to ptc, confirmed the converter went out. Was a cheap dacco that had a few hundred passes on it.

Drained the fluid with the plug. There was a slight amount of shavings in the fluid, but nothing to bad imo. Is there any other way to determine if the front pump went out? I've taken out the valve body also, no shavings to speak of in there either. Thanks!

Front pumps almost never go out because there is hardly anything to them. Only a set of gears and a few check balls. All the pressure controls are done by the valve body. Since you have it back together you can run a pressure test on it via the line pressure port but again the valve body does all the regulating so even if the pressure is low it doesn't mean the pump is bad.

-
Back